This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Analysis of the Volumetric Efficiency Characteristics of 4-Stroke Cycle Engines Using the Mean Inlet Mach Number Mim
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1979 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to obtain the limiting volumetric efficiency curve, the relationships between volumetric efficiency and engine speed were investigated on three engines by varying through wide limits the effective angle areas of the inlet valves.
It was found that the mean inlet Mach number Mim introduced by the authors showed the characteristics of volumetric efficiency better than the inlet Mach index Ms widely used and when Mim approached Mim=0.5, the flow around the inlet valve became critical causing inlet choking which made the volumetric efficiency decrease hyperbolically with an increase in engine speed. These phenomena were also observed in the test results of a Wankel type rotary engine.
CitationFukutani, I. and Watanabe, E., "An Analysis of the Volumetric Efficiency Characteristics of 4-Stroke Cycle Engines Using the Mean Inlet Mach Number Mim," SAE Technical Paper 790484, 1979, https://doi.org/10.4271/790484.
- Yagi S. Ishizuka A. Fujii I. “Research and Development of High-Speed, High-Performance Small Displacement Honda Engines.” SAE paper 700122
- Asamuma T. “Handbook of Internal-Combustion Engines.” Asakura Press 1963 185 151
- Livengood J.C. Rogowski A.R. Taylor C.F. “The Volumetric Efficiency of Four-Stroke Engines.” SAE Quarterly Trans. 6 1952 4 617 Taylor C.F. “The Internal-Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice.” 1 1966 MIT Press 171
- “Databook of Engines in Japan.” 17 1978 211 Sankaido Press
- Maekawa M. “On the Nozzles at Low Reynolds Numbers with a View of Measuring Pulsating Flow of Gases.” Trans. Japan Soc. Mech. Engrs. 37 1934 209 599
- Tanaka K. “Air Flow through Suction Valve of Conical Seat.” Rep. Aero. Res. Inst. Tokyo Imp. Univ. 1929
- Matsuoka S. Nakata M. Tasaka H. Yamada H. “A Study of the Gas Exchange of Four-Stroke Cycle Engines.” Nainen-kikan (Internal-Combustion Engine) 7 1968 73 11