This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Torch Ignition for Combustion Control of Lean Mixtures
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1979 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An experimental investigation was made to determine the effect of torch nozzle orientation on burn rate, power, fuel consumption and exhaust emissions. With the torch nozzle directed diametrically across the combustion chamber the burn rate and the power were maximized. Exhaust emissions were inversely proportional to burn rate and ISFC.
The torch chamber was also investigated as a means of augmenting post combustion turbulence to improve the mixing of the quench layer and thereby reduce the exhaust HC's. A dual ignition, single torch system was tested. It was found that the torch could be activated as much as 90 crank degrees after conventional ignition occurred. The late firing torch was effective in providing additional energy to supplement the cylinder turbulence. The reduction in HC emissions was achieved at the expense of increased fuel consumption.
CitationAdams, T., "Torch Ignition for Combustion Control of Lean Mixtures," SAE Technical Paper 790440, 1979, https://doi.org/10.4271/790440.
- Ricardo H. R. “Internal Combustion Engine,” 1918
- Summers C. E. “Internal Combustion Engine,” 1926
- Mallory M. “Internal Combustion Engine,” 1938
- Bugnulo A. “Engine with Stratified Mixture,” 1947
- Barnes W. B. “Improvements in or Relating to Internal Combustion Engines,” 1952
- Gussack L. A. Evart G. V. Ribinsky D. A. “Carburetor Type Internal Combustion Engine with Prechamber,” 1963
- Adams T. G. “Theory and Evaluation of Auxiliary Combustion (Torch) Chambers.” Paper 780631 SAE Passenger Car Meeting Troy June 1978
- Eltinge L. “Fuel-Air Ratio and Distribution from Exhaust Gas Composition.” SAE Preprint 680114 January 1968
- Baker R. E. Daby E. E. “Engine Mapping Methodology,” Paper 770077 SAE International Engineering Congress and Exposition Detroit 1978