This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Prediction of Gas Exchange Processes in a Single Cylinder Internal Combustion Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1979 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The study of unsteady gas exchange processes in the intake and exhaust systems of an internal combustion engine is presented in this paper. A finite difference scheme is used for solving the equations defining these systems. The transient properties like the pressure, temperature and velocity in these systems are computed by the present scheme and are compared with the results obtained using the pressure measuring devices and an ultrasonic instrument which can simultaneously measure the gas temperature and velocity.
CitationLakshminarayanan, P., Janakiraman, P., Babu, M., and Murthy, B., "Prediction of Gas Exchange Processes in a Single Cylinder Internal Combustion Engine," SAE Technical Paper 790359, 1979, https://doi.org/10.4271/790359.
- Benson R.S. Garg R.D. Woollatt D. “A numerical solution of unsteady flow problems” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 6 117 144 1964
- Lax P.D. Wendroff E. “Difference schemes with higher order accuracy for solving hyperbolic equations” Communications on Pure and Applied Mathematics 17 381 1964
- Mcharen J.F.T. Tramschek A.B. Sanjines A. Pastrana O.F. “A comparison of numerical solutions of unsteady flow equations applied to reciprocating compressor systems” J. Mech. Engg. Sci 17 5 271 1975
- Ledger J.D. “A finite difference approach for solving the gas dynamics in an engine exhaust” J.Mech.Engg.Sci June 1975
- Lakshminarayanan P.A. “Study of unsteady gas exchange processes in internal combustion engines” Indian Institute of Technology Madras June 1978
- Benson R.S. Baruah P.C. Sierens R. “Steady and unsteady flow in a simple carburettor” Proc. I. Mech E 188 53 74 1974
- Lascaux P. “Lectures on Numerical Methods for time dependent equations - applications to fluid flow problems” Tata Institute of Fundamental Research Bombay 1976
- Schlichting H. “Boundary Layer Theory” McGraw-Hill 578 583 1968
- Babu M.K.Gajendra Murthy B.S. “Simulation and Evaluation of a 4-stroke single-cylinder spark ignition engine” SAE paper 750 687 1631 SAE Trans. 1975
- Lakshminarayanan P.A. Babu M.K. Gajendra Janakiraman P.A. Murthy B.S. “A mathematical model for a 4-stroke spark ignition engine” Indian J. of Tech. June 1978
- Eichelberg G. “Some new investigations on old combustion problems” Engineering London 148 1939
- Goyal M. Scharpf Glen Borman G. “The simulation of single cylinder intake and exhaust systems” SAE paper 670 478
- Benson R.S. Baruah P.C. “Performance and emission predictions for a multi-cylinder spark ignition engine” Proc I Mech E 191 32 77
- Babu M.K. Gajendra Murthy B.S. “Simulation and evaluation of exhaust and intake system of a 4-stroke spark ignition engine” SAE paper 760 763