This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of Thermal Energy Conservation in Exhaust Pipes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1979 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The emissions of hydrocarbons (HC) and carbon monoxide (CO) from a vehicle can be decreased by obtaining faster warmup of the catalytic converter. An experimental study of the consequences of effectively internally insulating an exhaust pipe has demonstrated (1) a significant increase in converter-inlet gas temperature during warmup, and (2) a lowering of HC and CO emissions on the Federal Test Procedure by about 15% on one particular vehicle. A mathematical model has been developed and verified to predict converter-inlet temperature histories from known exhaust-takedown temperature histories and to quantify the effects of various insulation material properties on the temperature of the gas entering the converter. The dangers of drawing misleading conclusions from tests of exhaust pipe insulation are discussed.
CitationRobertson, G., "A Study of Thermal Energy Conservation in Exhaust Pipes," SAE Technical Paper 790307, 1979, https://doi.org/10.4271/790307.
- Dreitser G. A. Kalinin E. K. Kuzminov V. A. “Transient Convective Heat Transfer During Various Modes of Cooling a Hot Gas in Pipes,” Journal of Engineering Physics 25 1973 951 957
- Galitseiskii B. M. Dreitser G. A. Izosimov V. G. Kalinin E. K. Koshkin V. K. “Nonstationary Heat Exchange in a Tube When Both the Heat Flux and Gas Flow Rate Change,” High Temperature 5 5 1967 770 777
- Havemann H. A. Narayan Rao N. N. Jayachandra P. Garg G. C. “Studies for a New Hot Air Engine,” Journal Indian Institute of Science 38 July 1956 172 202
- Mamayev V. V. Nosov V. S. Syromyatnikov N. I. “Investigation of Heat Transfer in Pulsed Flow of Air in Pipes,” Heat Transfer-Soviet Research 8 3 May-June 1976 111 116
- Holman J. P. HEAT TRANSFER McGraw-Hill Book Company New York, New York 1968
- Boelter L. M. K. Young G. Iversen H. W. “An Investigation of Aircraft Heaters XXVII - Distribution of Heat-Transfer Rate in the Entrance Section of a Circular Tube,” July 1948
- Tailby S. R. Staddon P. W. “The Influence of 90° and 180° Pipe Bends on Heat Transfer from an Internally Flowing Gas Stream,” HEAT TRANSFER 1970 II Elsevier Publishing Company Amsterdam 1970
- Crank J. Nicolson P. “A Practical Method for Evaluation of Partial Differential Equations of the Heat Conduction Type,” Proceedings of Cambridge Philosophical Society 43 50 1947
- Beckett R. Hurt J. NUMERICAL CALCULATIONS AND ALGORITHMS McGraw-Hill Book Company New York, New York 1967
- Fox L. NUMERICAL SOLUTION OF ORDINARY AND PARTIAL DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS Addison-Wesley Reading, Massachusetts 1962