This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Parameter Estimation Techniques for Modal Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1979 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Parameter estimation techniques that can be used to determine modal parameters (frequency, damping, and mode shape) from experimentally measured frequency response or unit impulse response are presented with respect to practical implementation and use. The methods are separated into two categories:
A curve fit of only one degree of freedom with or without residuals.
A curve fit of multiple degrees of freedom with or without residuals.
Particular details are given with respect to multiple degree of freedom techniques utilizing the Complex Exponential algorithm.
|Technical Paper||A Multi-Input Modal Estimation Algorithm for Mini-Computers|
|Technical Paper||Correlation Between Clutch Hydraulic Release Pressure Pulsation and Pedal Vibration|
CitationBrown, D., Allemang, R., Zimmerman, R., and Mergeay, M., "Parameter Estimation Techniques for Modal Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 790221, 1979, https://doi.org/10.4271/790221.
- “A Critical Introduction to Some Industrial Resonance Testing Techniques” Pendered, J.W. Bishop, R.E.D. Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science 5 4 1963 345 367
- “The Determination of Modal Shapes in Resonance Testing” Pendered, J.W. Bishop, R.E.D. Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science 5 4 1963 379 385
- “An Investigation into the Theory of Resonance Testing” Bishop, R.E.D. Gladwell, G.M.L. Philosophical Transactions Royal Society of London 255 1963 241 280
- “On the Experimental Determination and Use of Modal Representations of Dynamic Characteristics” Klosterman, A. Ph.D. Dissertation University of Cincinnati, Mechanical Engineering Department 1971 184
- “Modal Parameters of Mechanical Structures” Van Loon, P. Ph.D. Dissertation Catholic University of Leuven Leuven, Belgium 1974 183
- “Modal Analysis Using Digital Test Systems” Richardson, M. Seminar on Understanding Digital Control And Analysis in Vibration Test Systems 1975 43 64
- “Identification of the Modal Properties of an Elastic Structure from Measured Transfer Function Data” Richardson, M. Potter, R. Instrument Society of America ISA ASI 74250 1974 239 246
- “Viscous vs. Structural Damping in Modal Analysis” Richardson, M. Potter R. 46th Shock and Vibration Symposium 1975 8
- “Use of Vectors in Vibration Measurement and Analysis” Kennedy, C.C. Pancu, C.D.P. Journal of Aeronautical Sciences Vol 14 11 1947 603 625
- “Improvements in the Complex Exponential Signal Analysis Computational Algorithm” Journal of Underwater Acoustics, U.S. Nav. 1968
- “Identifying Modes of Large Structures from Multiple Input and Response Measurements” Richardson, M. Kniskern, J. SAE Paper No . 760875 1976 12
- “Effective Measurements for Structural Dynamics Testing: Part I” Ramsey, K. Sound and Vibration November 1975
- “Effective Measurements for Structural Dynamics Testing: Part II” Ramsey, K. Sound and Vibration April 1976
- “Survey of Excitation Techniques Applicable to the Testing of Automotive Structures” Brown, D.L. Carbon, G. Ramsey, K. SAE Paper No . 770029 1977 16