Halogen Sealed Beam Headlamps
Published February 1, 1979 by SAE International in United States
Annotation of this paper is available
Recent admendments to the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108 open new markets for headlamps of sealed construction utilizing the higher efficiency halogen regenerative cycle light sources.
The terminology related to halogen-cycle lamps and the chemical/thermal cycle phenomena are explained for the automotive lighting engineers and references will allow researchers to review previous work.
The history and practical applications of halogen lamps is traced from 1912 to the present halogen sealed beam headlamps that are available on numerous 1979 model automobiles. The new halogen sealed beam headlamps may be the initial step toward evolutionary new headlamp designs, involving new materials and new manufacturing processes to meet the changing needs of the automotive industry and society.
CitationEhrhardt, R., "Halogen Sealed Beam Headlamps," SAE Technical Paper 790200, 1979, https://doi.org/10.4271/790200.
- McHale J. J., “Tungsten Transport in Quartz-Iodine Lamps.” Illuminating Engineering, Vol. 65, April 1971.
- Kopelman B. and VanWormer, K. A. Jr., “Thermodynamic Considerations of Tungsten Halogen Lamps.” Illuminating Engineering, Vol. 63, April 1968.
- Zubler E. G. and Mosby F. A., “An Iodine Incandescent Lamp with Virtually 100% Lumen Maintenance.” Illuminating Engineering, Vol. LIV, No. 12, December 1959.
- Yannaopoulos L. N. and Pebler A., “On the Role of Oxygen, Hydrogen, and Carbon in a Tungsten Bromine Lamp.” Illuminating Engineering, Vol. 1, No. 1, October 1971.
- MacKay G. M. J. and Orange J. A., General Electric Research Laboratory, August 1912.
- Mortensen M. A. and Tuttle J. W., “Lighting for Tomorrow's Aircraft.” American Institute of Electrical Engineers, DP 57-526, March 1957.
- Photo Lamp Department, Photographic Lamp Guide, General Electric Company, 1962.
- General Electric Lamp Information, No. 64-2, February 1964.
- “Blazer Beam” Ad. Jobber News and Products, General Electric Company, January 1970.
- Miniature Lamp Department, “Halogen Cycle Sealed Beam.” Bulletin 3-7015, General Electric Company, March 1977.
- Federal Register, Vol. 43, No. 145, July 27, 1978.
- Federal Register, Vol. 43, No. 179, September 14, 1978.
- Hare C. T. and Hemion R. H., “Headlamp Beam Usage on U. S. Highways.” Contract No. CPR 11-4126, NTIS No. PB183002, December 1968.
- Lighting Design and Application, August 1978.
- TÜVAUT0 Report '77, Vereinigung der Technischen Uberwachungs-Vereine, Essen, Germany.
- TÜVAUT0 Report '78.
- TÜVAUTO Report '78. (See Appendix for English translation.)
- Hopkins Manufacturing Company, Emporia, Kansas.
- Task Force Report, Road Illumination Devices Subcommittee, SAE Lighting Committee, June 15, 1968.
- Olson P. L. and Mortimer R. G., “Analysis of Sources of Error in Headlamp Aim.” SAE 740312, March 1974.
- MVMA Motor Vehicle Facts and Figures '77.