This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Compressor and Turbine Specific Speed on Turbocharger Efficiency and Engine Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1979 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
As a result of dimensional and cost limitations, the specific speed of today's turbochargers for vehicular diesel engine applications are higher than optimum. Performance of turbochargers therefore falls below the state-of-the-art.
According to the analysis presented in this paper, one avenue for improvement of turbocharger overall efficiency is reduction of compressor and turbine specific speed. A technique for optimizing turbocharger overall performance is presented, based on variation of component specific speed.
It is concluded that the concept of lower specific speed turbochargers deserves further study. It is essential that the balance between the advantages and disadvantages of this concept be carefully evaluated by turbocharger and diesel engine manufacturers.
|Technical Paper||Development of VFT (Variable Flow Turbocharger)|
|Technical Paper||The Effect of a Turbocharger Clearance Control Coating on the Performance and Emissions of a 2-Stroke Diesel Engine|
CitationSpraker, W. and Chou, C., "The Effect of Compressor and Turbine Specific Speed on Turbocharger Efficiency and Engine Performance," SAE Technical Paper 790065, 1979, https://doi.org/10.4271/790065.
- Shepherd, D.G. “Principles of Turbomachinery” 1956
- Balje, O.E. “A Study on Design Criteria and Matching of Turbomachines” A.S.M.E. Journal of Engineering for Power January 1962
- Dean, R.C. “The Fluid Dynamic Design of Advanced Centrifugal Compressors” 1974
- Lecture Notes “Turbocharging the Internal Combustion Engine” A.S.M.E. Fluid Dynamics Institute 1977
- Rohlik, H.E. “Analytical Determination of Radial Inflow Turbine Design Geometry for Maximum Efficiency” 1967
- Lecture Notes “Radial Flow Turbomachinery” A.S.M.E. Fluid Dynamics Institute 1976
- Lang, W. “What Can the Turbocharger Do For the Engine?” Educational Lecture Series SAE Milwaukee Section 1966
- Eckert, B. “Axialkompressoren und Radial-kompressoren” 1953
- Morris, R.E. Kenny, D.P. “High Pressure Ratio Centrifugal Compressor for Small Gas Turbine Engines” A.S.M.E.'s Advanced Centrifugal Compressors 1971
- Schorr, P.G. Welliver, A.D. Winslow, L. J. “Design and Development of Small, High Pressure Ratio, Single State Centrifugal Compressors” A.S.M.E.'s Advanced Centrifugal Compressors 1971