This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Influence of Operating Variables and Prechamber Size on Combustion in a Prechamber Stratified-Charge Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1978 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the results of experimental and computer simulation studies of the combustion process in the prechamber three-valve stratified-charge engine. Prechamber and main-chamber pressure data and matched computer simulation calculations are used to determine the effects of variations in overall air/fuel ratio, engine speed and load, and prechamber volume and orifice diameter on the parameters which define the combustion process (spark advance for optimum torque, ignition delay, combustion duration), on cylinder pressure diagrams (mean main-chamber pressure, mean pressure difference across the orifice, and cycle-by-cycle pressure fluctuations) and on exhaust emissions.
General correlations are derived from the data for the shape of the combustion rate profile and the extent of the combustion duration.
|Technical Paper||Cylinder-by-Cylinder Engine Model and ECU-in-the-Loop Simulation of Common-Rail Direct Injection Diesel Engine|
|Technical Paper||Relative Contributions of Intake and Exhaust Tuning on SI Engine Breathing - A Computational Study|
CitationWall, J. and Heywood, J., "The Influence of Operating Variables and Prechamber Size on Combustion in a Prechamber Stratified-Charge Engine," SAE Technical Paper 780966, 1978, https://doi.org/10.4271/780966.
- Date T. Yagi S. Ishizuya A. Fujii J. “Research and Development of the Honda CVCC Engine,” SAE Paper 740605 August 1974
- Purins E. “Prechamber Stratified-Charge Engine Combustion Studies,” SAE Paper 741159 October 1974
- Turkish M. C. “Three-Valve Stratified Charge Engines: Evolvement, Analysis, and Progression,” SAE Paper 741163 October 1974
- Davis G. C. Krieger R. B. Tabaczynski R. J. “Analysis of the Flow and Combustion Processes of a Three-Valve Stratified-Charge Engine with a Small Prechamber,” SAE Paper 741170 October 1974
- Inoue K. Ukawa H. Fujii I. “Fuel Economy and Exhaust Emissions of the Honda CVCC Engine,” Comb. Sci. and Technology 12 1 2 3 11 28 1976
- Krieger R. B. Davis G. C. “The Influence of the Degree of Stratification on Jet-Ignition Engine Emissions and Fuel Consumption,” The Institute of Mechanical Engineers Conference on Stratified-Charge Engines London November 1976
- Hires S. D. Ekchian A. Heywood J. B. Tabaczynski R. J. Wall J. C. “Performance and NO x Emissions, Modeling of A Jet Ignition Prechamber Stratified-Charge Engine,” SAE Paper 760161 1976 Transactions of the SAE
- Ekchian A. Heywood J. B. Rife J. M. “Time-Resolved Measurements of the Exhaust from a Jet Ignition Prechamber Stratified-Charge Engine,” SAE Paper 770043 February 1977
- Wall J. C. “Parametric Studies of the Prechamber Three-Valve Stratified-Charge Engine,” MIT Department of Mechanical Engineering February 1978
- Wall J. C. Heywood J. B. Woods W. A. “Parametric Studies of Performance and NO x Emissions of the Three-Valve Stratified-Charge Engine Using A Cycle Simulation,” SAE Paper 780320 February 1978
- Asanuma T. Babu M. K. Gajendra Yagi S. “Simulation of Thermodynamic Cycle of Three-Valve Stratified-Charge Engine,” SAE Paper 780319 February 1978
- Blizard N. Keck J. C. “Experimental and Theoretical Investigation of Turbulent Burning Model for Internal Combustion Engines,” SAE Paper 740191 February 1974
- Mayo J. “The Effect of Engine Design Parameters on Combustion Rate in Spark-Ignited Engines,” SAE Paper 750355 February 1975
- Komiyama K. “The Effects of Fuel Injector Characteristics on Fuel/Air Mixing in a Burner,” MIT Department of Mechanical Engineering January 1975
- Shapiro A. H. “The Dynamics and Thermodynamics of Compressible Fluid Flow,” I The Ronald Press Company New York 1953