Fundamentals of Corrosion Protection by Organic Coatings
Published February 1, 1978 by SAE International in United States
Annotation of this paper is available
An overview of the principal factors involved in the initiation and propagation of the corrosion of painted steel is presented. One of the major protective functions of the paint system is to act as a barrier to electrolyte; corrosion begins at sites where penetration of electrolyte has occurred. Loss of paint adhesion, caused in most cases by cathodically produced alkali, results in the spread of corrosion. Improved corrosion protection can be obtained by use of alkali-resistant paint binder resins. Corrosion inhibitive pigments can improve performance by slowing the overall corrosion rate; conversion coatings can slow the lateral spread of alkali attack.
CitationSmith, A. and Dickie, R., "Fundamentals of Corrosion Protection by Organic Coatings," SAE Technical Paper 780913, 1978, https://doi.org/10.4271/780913.
- Uhlig H. H., “Corrosion and Corrosion Control,” John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, 1971, 2nd ed., 92-118.
- Evans U. R., “The Corrosion and Oxidation of Metals,” St. Martin's Press, Inc., New York, 1960, 87-132.
- Hospadaruk V., Paper to be presented at Conference on Designing for Automotive Corrosion Prevention,” SAE, Nov. 8-10, 1978.
- Shreir L. L., “Localized Corrosion,” Corrosion, Vol. 1, 2nd ed., Shreir L. L., Ed., Newnes-Butterworths, London, 1976, 1:130-191.
- Mayne J. E. O., “The Mechanism of the Protective Action of Paints,” Corrosion Vol. 2, 2nd ed., Shreir L. L., Ed., Newnes-Butterworths, London, 1976, 15:24-37.
- Guruviah S., “The Relationship Between the Permeation of Oxygen and Water Through Paint Films and Corrosion of Painted Mild Steel,” J. Oil Col. Chem. Assoc., Vol. 53, 669, 1970.
- Haagen H. and Funke W., “Prediction of the Corrosion Protective Properties of Paint Films by Permeability Data,” J. Oil Col. Chem. Assoc., Vol. 58, 359, 1975.
- van der Meer-Lerk L. A. and Heertjes P. M., “Blistering of Varnish Films on Substrates Induced by Salts,” J. Oil and Col. Chem. Assoc., Vol. 58, 79, 1975.
- Kittleberger W. W. and Elm A. C., “Water Immersion Testing of Metal Protective Paints - Role of Osmosis in Water Absorption and Blistering,” Ind. Eng. Chem., Vol. 38, 695, 1946.
- Kittleberger W. W. and Elm A. C., “Water Immersion Testing of Metal Protective Paints - Role of Electroendosmosis in Water Absorption and Blistering,” Ind. Eng. Chem., Vol. 39, 876, 1947.
- Hay T. K. and Schurr G. G., “Moisture Diffusion Phenomena in Practical Paint Systems,” J. Paint Tech., Vol. 43, 63, 1971.
- Walker P., “The Effect of Water Upon the Adhesion of Surface Coatings,” Paint Tech., Vol. 31, No. 8, 22; No. 9, 15, 1967.
- Funke W., “On the Relation Between the Pigment-Vehicle Interaction and Liquid Water Absorption of Paint Films,” J. Oil Col. Chem. Assoc., Vol. 50, 942, 1967.
- Funke W., Zorll U. and Murthy B. K. G., “Interfacial Effects in Solid Paint Films Related to Some Film Properties,” J. Paint Tech., Vol. 40, 210, 1969.
- Perera D. Y. and Selier P., “Water Transport in Organic Coatings,” Vol. 1, 57, 1973.
- Funke W. and Haagen H., “Emperical or Scientific Approach to Evaluate the Corrosion Protection Performance of Organic Coatings,” Ind. Eng. Chem. Prod. Res. Dev., Vol. 17, No. 1, 50, 1978.
- Jullien H., “Le Compartement Electrochimique Des Films Des Peintures Consideres Comme Des Membranes Poreuses,” Prog. Org. Coat., Vol. 2, 99, 1973/4.
- Cherry B. W. and Mayne J. E. O., “Ionic Conduction Through Varnish Films,” 1st International Congress on Metallic Corrosion, Butterworths, London, p. 539, 1961.
- Cherry B. W. and Mayne J. E. O., “The Interaction of Divalent Ions with Varnish Membranes,” Official Digest, Vol, 37, 13, 1965.
- Ulfvarson U. and Khullar M., “The Relationship Between Ion Exchange Capacity and the Corrosion Protection Efficiency of Alkyd Based Anti-corrosion Paints,” J. Oil Col. Chem. Assoc., Vol. 54, 604, 1971.
- Kumins C. A., “Electrochemical Properties of Protective Coatings,” Official Digest, Vol. 34, 843, 1962.
- Kumins C. A., “Transport through Polymer Films,” Polymer Preprints, Vol. 6(1), 396, 1965.
- Kumins C. A., “Interfacial Phenomena in Corrosion Protection: Introductory Remarks - Tuesday Session,” Ind. Eng. Chem., Prod. Res. Dev., Vol. 17, No. 1, 30, 1978.
- Glass A. L. and Smith J., “A Radiochemical Investigation Into the Diffusion of Ions Through Protective Films,” J. Paint Tech., Vol. 38, 203, 1966.
- Glass A. L. and Smith J., “A Radiochemical Investigation of the Effect of Pigmentation on the Diffusion of Ions Through Protective Films,” J. Paint Tech., Vol. 39, 490, 1967.
- Glass A. L., “Radiochemical Procedure for Investigating Corrosive Environment Existing Under Organic Protective Coatings,” J. Paint Tech., Vol. 42, 449, 1970.
- Touhsaent R. E. and Leidheiser, H. Jr., “A Capacitance-Resistance Study of Polybutadiene Coatings on Steel,” Corrosion, Vol. 28, 435, 1972.
- Leidheiser, H. Jr. and Kendig M. W., “The Mechanism of Corrosion of Polybutadiene-Coated Steel in Aerated Sodium Chloride,” Corrosion, Vol. 32, 69, 1976.
- Kendig M. W. and Leidheiser, H. Jr., “The Electrical Properties of Protective Polymer Coatings as Related to Corrosion of the Substrate,” J. Electrochem. Soc., Vol. 123, 982, 1976.
- Leidheiser, H. Jr. and Kendig M. W., “Conjectures on Delamination of Organic Coatings by Corrosion,” Ind. Eng. Chem., Prod. Res. Dev., Vol. 17, No. 1, 54, 1978.
- Mayne J. E. O. and Mills D. J., “The Effect of the Substrate on the Electrical Resistance of Polymer Films,” J. Oil Col. Chem. Assoc., Vol. 58, 155, 1975.
- Boxall J. and von Fraunhofer J. A., “Studies on Polymeric Coatings for Metals,” Trans. Inst. Met. Fin. Vol. 54, 112, 1976.
- Anderton W. A., “Problems of Adhesion with Cathodic Protection,” Official Digest, Vol. 36, 1210, 1964.
- Evans U. R., “The Electrochemical Corrosion of Painted or Lacquered Steel with Special Reference to the ‘Alkaline Peeling of the Coat,’” Trans. Electrochem. Soc., Vol. 55, 243, 1929.
- Gay P. J., “Blistering of Paint Films on Metal Under Sub-Marine Conditions,” J. Oil Col. Chem. Assoc., Vol. 32, 488, 1949.
- Evans U. R. and Taylor C. A., “Metal-Pigmented Paints for the Protection of Steel,” Trans. Inst. Met. Finishing, Vol. 39, 188, 1962.
- Hammond J. S., Holubka J. W. and Dickie R. A., “On the Locus of Paint Adhesion Failure in Corrosion,” General Papers and New Concepts in Coatings and Plastics Chemistry, Division of Organic Coatings and Plastics Chemistry, 176th National Meeting, American Chemical Society, Miami, September 10-15, 1978.
- Hammond J. S., Holubka J. W., Durisin A. M. and Dickie R. A., “ESCA Studies of Chemical Derivatization for Surface Analysis of Polymers,” Symposium on Surface Modification of Polymers, Division of Surface and Colloid Chemistry, 176th National Meeting, American Chemical Society, Miami, September 10-15, 1978.
- Wiggle R. R., Smith A. G. and Petrocelli J. V., “Paint Adhesion Failure Mechanisms on Steel in Corrosive Environments,” J. Paint Tech., Vol. 40, 174, 1968.
- Gonzales O. D., Josephic P. H. and Oriani R. A., “The Undercutting of Organic Lacquers on Steel,” J. Electrochem. Soc., Vol. 121, 29, 1974.
- Smith A. G. and Dickie R. A., “Adhesion Failure Mechanisms of Primers,” Ind. Eng. Chem., Prod. Res. Dev., Vol. 17, No. 1, 42, 1978.
- Hospadaruk V., Huff J., Zurilla R. W. and Greenwood H. T., “Paint Failure, Steel Surface Quality and Accelerated Corrosion Testing,” Paper 780186, National SAE Meeting, Detroit, March, 1978.
- Zurilla R. W. and Hospadaruk V., “Quantitative Test for Zinc Phosphate Coating Quality,” Paper 780187 National SAE Meeting, Detroit, March 1978.