This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Medical Aspects of Energy Absorption
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1978 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: National West Coast Meeting
In Medical Aspects of Energy Absorption, a review of medical injury mechanisms are discussed in practical terms. The nationwide adoption of the Abbreviated Injury Scale, derived from the original meetings of the Ad Hoc Injury Severity Committee in the late sixties and early seventies, have led to the more sophisticated and better defined injury severity scale. The statistical review of many automotive accidents are now performed well away from the field investigators and thus have led the people to code and analyze the injuries without really knowing the case and the mechanism by which the injuries were sustained.
This paper concentrates mainly on the head, neck, thorax and abdomen. Although serious, permanent injuries and occasional fatal injuries can develop later due to trauma to either the upper or lower extremities, this paper deals with direct trauma and the more complex injuries of the upper torso and head of the victim.
CitationMcSwain, N. and Hight, P., "Medical Aspects of Energy Absorption," SAE Technical Paper 780716, 1978, https://doi.org/10.4271/780716.
- 1974 AMA SAE AAAM Revision of the Abbreviated Injury Scale (AIS) 18th AAAM 1974
- The Abbreviated Injury Scale (1975 Revision) Joint Committee of SAE, AMA and AAAM 19th AAAM 1975
- Hight P. V. Siegel A. W. Nahum A. M. “Injury Mechanisms in Rollover Collisions” 16th Stapp Car Crash Conference November 1972
- Lasky I.I. Siegel A. W. Nahum A. M. “Automotive Cardio-Thoracic Injuries: A Medical-Engineering Analysis SAE Auto Engineering Congress, Paper No. 680052 Jan. 1968
- McSwain N. E., Jr., M.D. Kinematics of Trauma, Traumatic Surgery Outline Series Kansas University Medical Center August 1976
- McSwain N. E., Jr., M.D. A Comprehensive Statewide Approach to EMT 19th AAAM 1975
- McSwain N. E., Jr., M.D. Current Problems in Gaining Access to Automobile Accident Victims 20th AAAM 1976
- McSwain N. E., Jr., M.D. Emergency Medical Services 21st AAAM 1977
- Nahum A. M. Seigel A. W. Trachtenberg S. B. “Causes of Significant Injuries in Non-fatal Traffic Accidents: Tenth Stapp Car Crash Conference Proc. 182 196 1966
- Nahum A. M. Siegel A. W. Hight P. V. “Injuries to Rear Seat Occupants in Automobile Collisions: Eleventh Stapp Car Crash Conference Proc. 159 174 1967
- Nahum A. M. Siegel A. W. Hight P. V. Brooks S. H. “Lower Extremity Injuries of Front Seat Occupants” SAE Mid-Year Meeting, Paper No. 680483 May 1968
- Siegel A. W. “Automotive Collision Investigation and Human Injury Patterns” 2nd International Congress on Road Traffic Techniques and five other organizations on European Continent Oct. 1967
- Siegel A. W. “The Vehicle Deformation Index: A Report from the International Ad Hoc Committee for Collision Deformation and Trauma Indexes” Collision Investigation Methodology Symposium Warrenton, Virginia Aug. 1969