This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Hailstone Response of Body Panels - Real and Simulated
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1978 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The dent resistance of aluminum and steel autobody panels has been studied under controlled laboratory conditions and by field observations and measurements of actual hailstone damage. Analysis of the results shows that very nearly the same response occurred in the lighter weight aluminum components as occurred in the steel panels.
The autobody components were all 1977 model year production panels. Laboratory testing included four steel and four aluminum hoods, both painted and unpainted. The hailstone damaged components included a steel hood, aluminum doors and an aluminum fender. The aluminum and steel panels were damaged in the same hailstorm during May 1977.
The analysis of denting resistance presented in this paper is based on insight and experience gained from a four-year cooperative program of Reynolds Research and several automobile companies. The results given here supplement previously published laboratory data and confirm the conclusion that lighter weight aluminum autobody panels can be designed to give at least comparable, if not better, dent resistance than conventionally used steel panels, and at a weight savings of 50 percent.
CitationNiemeier, B. and Burley, C., "Hailstone Response of Body Panels - Real and Simulated," SAE Technical Paper 780398, 1978, https://doi.org/10.4271/780398.
- Thomson Robert G. Hayduk Robert J. “An Analytical Evaluation of the Denting of Airplane Surfaces by Hail” NASA Technical Note D-5363 August 1969
- Niemeier B. A. Koch G. P. Burley C. E. “Dynamic Denting of Autobody Panels” ASM High Strength Light Weight Materials Symposium 1974
- Burley C. E. Niemeier B. A. Koch G. P. “Dynamic Denting of Autobody Panels” SAE Paper No. 7601651 February 1976
- Burley C. E. Niemeier B. A. “Denting Properties of Aluminum Autobody Components” SAE Paper No. 770199 February 1977
- Glance P. M. “Determining Structural Equivalency of Dissimilar Materials” Materials Engineering 18 June 1976