This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of Automotive Reliability and Associated Cost of Maintenance in the U.S.A.
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1978 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Increasing Governmental regulation, changing judicial policies, greater consumer awareness and expectations concerning product integrity and rapidly rising operating costs are all having a profound effect on engineering and managerial decisions. Proper decisions, regardless of the area of business, require precise and easily accessible information. A research project established to provide sound engineering and cost data on transportation equipment, its systems and components, has provided answers to many questions faced in the automotive industry.
Information feedback on vehicle and component performance is fundamental in addressing the effectiveness of design/manufacturing changes which have already taken place. Statistical summaries and detailed findings, historical trends from model year to model year, intercorrelations between field, laboratory and proving ground experience enables greater insight into product modifications still required. The significance of the data have facilitated functional problem analyses on new designs, justified design and manufacturing changes to current configurations and aided preliminary concept definitions for new automated transportation system projects.
|Technical Paper||Obstacle Crossing By Wheeled Vehicles|
|Technical Paper||Service and Support of Electronic Products in the Trucking Industry|
|ARINC Standard||GUIDELINES FOR THE REDUCTION OF NO FAULT FOUND (NFF)|
CitationMitchell, R. and Rutter, R., "A Study of Automotive Reliability and Associated Cost of Maintenance in the U.S.A.," SAE Technical Paper 780277, 1978, https://doi.org/10.4271/780277.
- Meyer, H.H. “Planning and Managing Accomplishment” American Society of Mechanical Engineers New York 1965
- Buffa, E.S. “Operations Management” John Wiley and Sons, Inc. New York 1968
- Newman, W.J. Charles E. Warren, E.K. “The Process of Management” PrenticeHall, Inc. New York 1967
- Maybell, J.L. “Status of Producibility, Analysis, Maintainability Evaluation and Tradeoff Studies” American Society for Ouality Control Annual Conference on Reliability and Maintainability 1971
- Holmes, J.R. “Failure Reporting and Corrective Action Programs” Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers, Inc. Annual Symposium on Reliability New York 1968
- Kotler, Philip “Marketing Management; Planning, Analysis and Control” PrenticeHall, Inc. Englewood Cliffs New Jersey 1967 171 191
- Hastings N.A.J. Thomas D.W. “Overhaul Policies for Mechanical Equipment” Proceedings The Institution of Mechanical Engineers 185-40 71 London, England
- Blanchard B.S. Iowery, E.E. “Maintainability, Principles and Practices” McGraw-Hill Book Company New York 1969
- Bazovsky, I. “Reliability Theory and Practice” Prentice-Ball, Inc. Englewood Cliffs New Jersey 1961