This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Use of the Mobile Tire Traction Dynamometer in Research
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1978 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Mobile Tire Traction Dynamometer measures the braking and cornering traction of passenger car tires on outdoor pavements at highway speeds. Its hydrostatic wheel speed control system, wheel loading and positioning system, pavement wetting system, transducers and instrumentation are described in detail. The data processing methods for its several test modes are explained.
Results of experiments (1) to determine the effect of the rate of change of slip on the peak braking coefficient, (2) to identify filters suitable for peak braking coefficient measurement, (3) to determine the effect of the rate of change of slip angle on the lateral force coefficient, and (4) to explore various pavement friction testing methods are included as examples of the use of this testing device.
|Journal Article||Driver's Preview Strategy and its Impact on NATO Double Lane Change Maneuver|
|Technical Paper||Evaluation of Different Designs of Wheel Force Transducers|
- P. L. Boyd - Tire Systems Div., Safety Research Lab., National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Riverdale, MD
- A. H. Neill - Tire Systems Div., Safety Research Lab., National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Riverdale, MD
- John Hinch - Tire Systems Div., Safety Research Lab., National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Riverdale, MD
CitationBoyd, P., Neill, A., and Hinch, J., "The Use of the Mobile Tire Traction Dynamometer in Research," SAE Technical Paper 780196, 1978, https://doi.org/10.4271/780196.
- Cortese A. D. Rockafellow C. S. “General Motors Proving Ground Tire Cornering Test Vehicle,” Paper 710092 SAE NAE Congress Jan. 11-15 1971
- Boyd P. L. “Effect of Rate of Change of Slip on the Peak Braking Coefficient of Passenger Car Tires,” Report DOT HS 802 513 Natl Hwy Traffic Safety Admin Aug. 1977
- Neill, A. H. Jr. Boyd P. L. Hinch J. “Filtering Techniques for Measuring Peak Braking Coefficients,” Tire Science and Technology, TSTCA xx xx xxx 1977
- Lippmann S. A. Oblizajek K. L. “Lateral Forces of Passenger Tires and Effects on Vehicle Response during Dynamic Steering,” Paper 760033 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress and Exposition Detroit, MI Feb. 23-27 1976
- Bergman W. Beauregard C. “Transient Tire Properties,” Paper 760068 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit, MI Feb. 25 Mar 1 1974