This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Hydroplaning on the Dynamic Characteristics of Car, Truck and Bus Tires
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1978 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This report deals with the tests made on the hydroplaning phenomenon of car, truck and bus tires using the interior of a dynamic tire testing machine. For car tires, the relationship between braking force and slip ratio and between cornering force and slip angle as affected by hydroplaning were investigated. Studies were also made of the influence of the difference between radial-ply and cross-ply tires, inner pressure, load, thickness of the water film, etc.. Next, a study was conducted concerning the effect of hydroplaning on the cornering properties of truck and bus tires.
|Technical Paper||Factors Affecting Tire Traction|
|Technical Paper||Improvement of Hydroplaning Performance Based on Water Flow around Tires|
|Technical Paper||Advances in Indoor Tire Tread Wear Simulation|
CitationSakai, H., Kanaya, O., and Okayama, T., "The Effect of Hydroplaning on the Dynamic Characteristics of Car, Truck and Bus Tires," SAE Technical Paper 780195, 1978, https://doi.org/10.4271/780195.
- Horne, Walter B. Joyner, Upshur T. Pneumatic Tire Hydroplaning and Some Effects on Vehicle Performance SAE Paper 970c January 1965
- Maeda Obana Experimental Research in Hydroplaning lecture meeting of the Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan May 1970
- Hiromasa Okamura Research in Hydroplaning in Consideration of the Flexible Deformation of Tires Japan Automobile Research Ins., Inc. Technical Report No.14 Aug. 1974
- Daughaday H. Tung C. A Mathematical Analysis of Hydroplaning Phenomena Cornell Aero. Lab. Jan. 1969
- Yeager R. W. Tuttle J. L. Testing and Analysis of Tire Hydroplaning SAE Paper 720471 May 1971
- Hideo Sakai Driving and Braking Characteristics of Snow Tires Journal of the Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 20 8 Aug. 1966
- Fiala E. 29 Oct. 1954
- Hideo Sakai Theoretical Investigation on the Effect of Braking Force and Driving Force on Cornering Force Journal of the Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 23 10 Oct. 1969
- Hideo Sakai Theoretical Consideration of Hydroplaning in Passenger Car Tires The Collected Papers of the Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 2 1971