This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Passenger Car Classification Using Interior Volume - A 1978 Up-Date
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1978 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In November 1976, the Environmental Protection Agency promulgated rules covering the classification of automobiles for the purpose of fuel economy labeling and the Gas Mileage Guide. Since that time a number of changes have been made in the classification system and the interior volume measurements on which that system is based. This paper reports on the reasons for those changes and their impact on the classification of model year 1978 vehicles.
The paper also discusses various trends in vehicle design as measured by interior and exterior volume, weight and fuel economy. Trends in varous design efficiency factors are examined for model years 1976-1978 and a data base is presented for future analysis.
CitationMcNutt, B., Pirkey, D., and Dulla, R., "Passenger Car Classification Using Interior Volume - A 1978 Up-Date," SAE Technical Paper 780133, 1978, https://doi.org/10.4271/780133.
- EPA “Fuel Economy Testing, Labeling and Information Disclosure Procedures and Requirements, 1977 and Later Model Years,” November 10 1976
- McNutt B. Pirkey D. Dulla R. “Development of A System of Comparable Car Classes for Fuel Economy Labeling,” SAE Paper # 760794 October 1976
- EPA “Notice of Proposed Rulemaking for Fuel Economy and Emission Testing and Other Procedures for 1978 and Later Model Years,” June 6 1977
- U.S. Public Health Service “Weight, Height and Selected Body Dimensions of Adults, United States -1960-1962,” Vital and Health Statistic
- Davis P. FEA Rosenberg E. EPA January 6 1977 Hemphill J. FEA Stork E. EPA August 10 1977
- General Motors Corp. “Comments on EPA NPRM for Fuel Economy and Emissions Testing and Other Procedures for 1978 and Later Model Years Automobiles,” July 5 1977 4
- Ford Motor Company “Comments on EPA Proposed Rulemaking Regarding Fuel Economy and Emission Testing and Other Procedures for 1978 and Later Model Year Automobiles,” July 1977
- General Motors 8 9
- SAE “Unconfirmed Minutes of a Meeting of the Motor Vehicle Measuring Task Force of the Design Devices Subcommittee,” January 26 1977
- EPA “Fuel Economy Labeling and Other Requirements for 1978 and Later Model Year Automobiles,” September 12 1977
- General Motor Corp. 6 8
- Automotive News “Editorial Opinion,” October 17 1977
- “Consumers Report - Annual Buying Guide,” December 1977 Knoll Robert Consumer Union February 2 1978
- DOT, NHTSA “Passenger Automobile Average Fuel Economy Standards - Final Rule,” June 27 1977 23
- J.D. Power & Assoc. “Consumer Survey for the Evaluation of Energy Efficiency Information Programs for Consumer Products,” DOE Contract CR-14-7031500 September 30 1977