This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Four-Octane-Number Method for Predicting the Anti-Knock Behavior of Fuels and Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 1, 1978 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The “Four-Octane-Number Method” is a practical determination of the knock-resistance of fuels based on the autoignition delay concept and obtained through simple processing of the standard “Research” and “Motor” indices combined with two other indices specially defined.
The knocking behavior of any engine can be specified once by measuring its octane requirement with 2 fuels for which the four octane numbers are known.
The behavior of any fuel can be predicted without experimenting on all the engines thus identified if its four octane numbers are known.
Extensive controls of the method have been performed over about 1000 samples for which the road octane numbers were measured. The method's predictions are within an average accuracy of 0.5 octane point.
CitationDouaud, A. and Eyzat, P., "Four-Octane-Number Method for Predicting the Anti-Knock Behavior of Fuels and Engines," SAE Technical Paper 780080, 1978, https://doi.org/10.4271/780080.
- Horning H. L., “The Cooperative Fuel-Research Committee Engine” SAE Transactions, Vol. 25-26, 1930-1931
- Brooks D.B., Cleaton R. B., “The Precision of Knock Rating” 1936-1939 SAE Transactions, Vol. 45, 1939
- “Test Methods for Rating Motor, Diesel and Aviation Fuels” American Society for Testing and Materials
- Sabina J.R., “Correlation of Road and Laboratory Octane Numbers” SAE Transactions, Vol. 33, 1938
- Douaud A., Eyzat P., “Modélisation du fonctionnement des moteurs au voisinage du cliquetis” 2d European Symposium on Combustion Orléans, France, sept. 1975
- Trumpy D. R., “The Pre-Knock Kinetics of Ethane in a Spark Ignition Engine” SAE Transactions, Vol. 78, 690518
- Rifkin E. B. and Walcutt C., “A Basis for Understanding Anti-Knock Action” SAE Transactions, Vol. 65, 1957
- Livengood J. C. and Wu P.C., “Correlation of Autoignition Phenomena in Internal Combustion Engines and Rapid Compression Machines” p. 347, Fifth Symposium (International) on Combustion Reinhold Publ. Corp. 1955
- Douaud A., Eyzat P., “DIGITAP-An On-Line Acquisition and Processing System for Instantaneous Engine Data-Applications” SAE paper 770 218 presented at the SAE Annual Congress, Detroit, February 1977
- “Octel Group Gasoline Survey 1976” Associated Octel Company Ltd. London