This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Pavement Grooves on the Ride of Passenger Cars - The Role of Tires
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1977 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A study of the role of tires in the ride-disturbance created in passenger cars by longitudinal grooves in highway pavements is presented. The coincidence of groove spacing in pavement and groove spacing in tires is shown to be of major importance. Tire construction and operating conditions are shown to be secondary. A methodical approach for evaluating tread patterns for potential disturbance is described.
CitationTarpinian, H. and Culp, E., "The Effect of Pavement Grooves on the Ride of Passenger Cars - The Role of Tires," SAE Technical Paper 770869, 1977, https://doi.org/10.4271/770869.
- Rasmussen R. J. “Pavement Surface Texturing and Restoration for Highway Safety” Skid Resistance Symposium January 1974
- Kurtz J. A. “Safety Grooving Gains Acceptance” Better Roads December 1975
- Farnsworth E. E. “Continuing Studies of Pavement Grooving in California” HRB, Special Report 116 1971 134 137
- Sherman G. B. “Grooving Pattern Studies in California” HRB, Highway Research Record 376 1971 63 64
- Beaton J. L. Zube E. Skog J. “Reduction of Accidents by Pavement Grooving” HRB, Special Report 101 1969 110 125
- Martinez J. E. “Effects of Pavement Grooving on Friction, Braking, and Vehicle Control” FHA Contract No. DOT-FH-11-8267
- Lippmann S. A. Oblizajek K. L. “The Distribution of Stress Between the Tread and the Road for Freely Rolling Tires” SAE # 740072 Feb. 1974
- Lippmann S.A. Oblizajek K. L. “The Influence of Tire Wear on Steering Properties and the Corresponding Stresses at the Tread-Road Interface” SAE # 741102 October 1974
- Lippmann S.A. “Structural Mechanisms of Tires Leading to the Development of Steering Forces” SAE #794C January 1964
- Tsuchiya Shunji Watanabe Tadakiyo Matsuoka Yoichi “The Effects of Tire Wear on Vehicle Behavior” International Automobile Tire Conference Toronto, Canada SAE # 741100 October 1974
- Pasejka H. B. “Yaw and Camber Analysis” 757 784 National Bureau of Standards Monograph 122 “Mechanics of Pneumatic Tires” Clark Samuel K. 1971