This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Fire Resistant Hydraulic Fluids on Tapered Roller Bearing Fatigue Life
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1977 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Fatigue life testing was performed on tapered roller bearings using several fire resistant hydraulic fluids. The test fluids included an ester-oil blend, synthetic esters, invert emulsions and water glycols.
For comparison, tests were also run in a reference petroleum oil and a petroleum type antiwear hydraulic oil of similar viscosities. Test results show that the relative bearing fatigue life compared to the reference oil ranged from 100+ percent for the ester oil blend to 14 to 24 percent for the water glycol.
CitationCulp, D. and Widner, R., "The Effect of Fire Resistant Hydraulic Fluids on Tapered Roller Bearing Fatigue Life," SAE Technical Paper 770748, 1977, https://doi.org/10.4271/770748.
- Cordiano H. V. Cochran E. P. Wolfe R. J. “Effect of Combustion Resistant Hydraulic Fluids on Ball Bearing Fatigue.” Lubrication Engineering 12 4 July-August 1956 261 266
- Hobbs R. A. Mullet G. W. “Effects of Some Hydraulic Fluid Lubricants on the Fatigue Life of Rolling Bearings.” Tribology Convention 1969 Proceedings of the Substitute of Mechanical Engineer 1968-69 183
- Hobbs R. A. “Fatigue Lives of Ball Bearings Lubricated With Oils and Fire Resistant Fluids.” Institute of Mechanical Engineers Elastohydrodynamic Lubrication Symposium Leeds, England 1972 Paper No. C1/72
- Kenny P. Yardley E. D. “The Use of Unisteel Rolling Fatigue Machines to Compare Lubricating Properties of Fire Resistant Fluids.” Wear 20 1972 105 121
- Yardley E. D. Kenny P. Sutcliffe D. A. “The Use of Rolling-Fatigue Test Methods Over a Range of Loading Conditions to Assess the Performance of Fire Resistant Fluids.” Wear 28 1974 29
- March C. N. “The Evaluation of Fire Resistant Fluids Using the Unisteel Rolling Contact Fatigue Machine.” Institute of Petroleum Symposium on Rolling Contact Fatigue Performance Testing of Lubricants London, England October 1976
- Yardley E. D. “The Performance of Three Invert Emulsions Assessed by Various Rolling-Fatigue Tests.” Institute of Petroleum Symposium on Rolling Contact Fatigue Performance Testing of Lubricants London, England October 1976
- Knight G. C. “The Assessment of the Suitability of the Hydrostatic Pumps and Motors for Use With Fire Resistant Contact Fatigue Performance Testing of Lubricants London, England October 1976
- Johnson L. G. “The Statistical Treatment of Fatigue Experiments,” Elsevier Publishing Co. 1964
- Littmann W. E. Widner R. L. “Propagation of Contact Fatigue From Surface and Subsurface Origins.” Journal of Basic Engineering, ASME September 1966 64
- Littmann W. E. Widner R. L. Wolfe J. O. Stover J. D. “The Role of Lubrication in Propagation of Contact Fatigue Cracks.” Journal of Lubrication Technology, ASME January 1968 89