This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cam and Follower Performance Prediction of Lubricants in a Test Rig
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1977 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper describes methods of using the CEC cam and follower rig to predict lubricant performance in hydraulic lifter, finger follower and bucket follower valve train mechanisms, of differing metallurgies. The background situation to the subject in North America and in Europe is referred to, and the authors briefly discuss the relative merits of engine and rig testing of lubricants with regard to this performance aspect. The test rig is briefly described and appropriate literature references are made for greater detail.
Steady condition step load testing has been the essence of 20 hour tests to predict anti-wear performance of lubricants on the basis of highest non-fail loads, and this has been applied to hydraulic lifters and to finger followers. Pitting performance has been evaluated in a different metallurgy using a 50 hour test at a single set of overload conditions.
Results indicate an ability to discriminate between reference oils of known anti-wear performance in field testing. A conventional alkyl zinc dithiophosphate (zdp) SE type blend and low phosphorus SE level experimental blends both favourably compare with the reference oils. Adequate to good performances in pitting tests with the two types of blend are also encouraging.
CitationWilson, J. and Samy, S., "Cam and Follower Performance Prediction of Lubricants in a Test Rig," SAE Technical Paper 770636, 1977, https://doi.org/10.4271/770636.
- Marciante A. “European Testing and Classification for Passenger Car Field Service Oils” SAE paper 740972
- British Technical Council of the Motor and Petroleum Industries “Cams and Tappets: A Survey of Information” December 1972
- Pless Loren G. “Deposits, Wear and Catalyst Performance with Low Ash and Ashless Engine Oils” SAE paper 750900
- Knight C. R. Weiser H. “Lubrication Requirements of European Automotive Diesel Engines” SAE paper 760721
- Love R. J. Wykes F. C. “European Practice in Respect of Automotive Cams and Followers” SAE paper 750865
- Wilson J. V. D. “Use of the CEC/MIRA Cam and Cam Follower Test Machine for the Evaluation of Lubricants and Additives” 163 175 Performance Testing of Lubricants for Automotive Engines and Transmissions Institute of Petroleum 1973
- Andrew S. Taylor R. G. Love R. J. “A Testing Machine for Cams and Cam Followers” MIRA Report 1962
- Love R. J. “The CEC Cam and Tappet Testing Machine” 135 147 Performance Testing of Lubricants for Automotive Engines and Transmissions Institute of Petroleum 1973