This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Substructuring Approach to Localized Plasticity Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1977 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the analysis of automotive structures using finite element models, areas of stress concentration are often uncovered. The calculated linear stress at these locations may exceed the yield strength of the material. In these situations, the analyst is confronted with the choice of making a nonlinear analysis of the structure or using an approximate technique to predict nonlinear strains. The former can be excessively expensive while the latter can lead to results of questionable accuracy. This paper will discuss a technique which substantially reduces the cost of the nonlinear analysis of complex structures with areas of localized plasticity.
The basis of the technique is the substructuring of the localized plasticity areas. They are identified and disconnected from the linear elastic part of the model by boundary points. The elastic degrees of freedom are reduced to boundary freedoms having boundary stiffness matrices which remain constant for each incremental step of a plasticity solution. The displacements for the last incremental step may be used to verify that the linearity of the elastic substructure has not been violated.
A brief description of the in-house computer programs are given. The technique, accuracy and savings are compared to a complete nonlinear analysis using two simple structures. Finally, the method is applied to a detailed automotive component.
CitationKatnik, R., Kowalski, M., and Chen, K., "A Substructuring Approach to Localized Plasticity Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 770602, 1977, https://doi.org/10.4271/770602.
- Hessel J. J. Lammers S. J. “Solution of Automotive Structural Problems Using the Finite Element Method and Computer Graphics” SAE Paper 710243 1971
- Petersen W. “Application of the Finite Element Method to Predict Static Response of Automotive Body Structures” SAE Paper 710263 1971
- Vail C. F. “Illustrations of Automotive Finite Element Models - Dynamics” SAE Paper 740005 1974
- Parks S. W. DuVall F. W. “Finite Element Structural Analysis as Applied to an Automotive Door Structure” First International Conference on Vehicle Structural Mechanics SAE Paper 740320 1974
- Radaj D. Zimmer A. Geissler H. “Finite Element Analysis, an Automobile Engineer's Tool” First International Conference on Vehicle Structural Mechanics SAE Paper 740338 1974
- “MARC-CDC Nonlinear Finite Element Analysis Program” User Information Manual 1 Control Data Corporation 1971
- DeSalvo G. J. Swanson J. A. “ANSYS Engineering Analysis Systems Manual” Swanson Analysis Systems Inc. Elizabeth, Penn. October 1972
- Pifko A. Levine H. Armen H. “PLANS - A Finite Element Program for Nonlinear Analysis of Structures” Grumman Research Department Report
- Landgraf R. W. Wetzel R. M. “Cyclic Deformation and Fatigue Damage” International Conference on Mechanical Behavior of Materials Kyoto, Japan August 1971
- Katnik R. B. “A User's Manual for SATURN - A Substructural Analysis Technique Using Reduction of Nodes” Chevrolet Engineering Report July 1974
- Chen K. “A Triangular Plate Finite Element for Large - Displacement Elastic-Plastic Analysis of Automobile Structural Components” General Motors Research Report MA-113 1976
- Aguiar A. A. “Applications of Computer Graphics to Automotive Structural Analysis” SAE Paper 760182 1976
- Irons B. M. “A Frontal Solution Program for Finite Element Analysis” International Journal of Numerical Methods in Engineering 2 5 32 1970
- Przemieniecki J. S. “Theory of Matrix Structural Analysis” McGraw-Hill Book Company New York 1968
- Landgraf R. W. LaPointe N. R. “Cyclic Stress-Strain Concepts Applied to Component Fatigue Life Prediction” SAE Paper 740280 1974
- Barron G. E. “A Finite Element Cumulative Damage Analysis of a Keyhole Test Specimen” SAE Paper 750041 1975
- Gravel D. G. “Box Beam Yield Test” unpublished Chevrolet Engineering Analysis Report June 1976