This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Finite Element Analysis of Prying Action in Bolted Joints
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1977 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Structural connections involving a T-stub arrangement often result in fasteners loaded in tension. The working load developed in the fastener is dependent upon the stiffness and deformation of the T-stub itself. Tests have shown that this “prying action” phenomenon can influence fastener performance. A number of analytical and experimental models has been developed to predict the relationship between applied
forces and subsequent bolt forces. It is felt that the detailed analysis provided by finite element theory could add additional insight into this phenomenon by more rigorously defining the load distribution between connected members. Finite element analyses could then be utilized to efficiently evaluate the effects of alternative support and fastener stiffnesses and variations in fastener pre-load.
CitationSimon, M. and Hengehold, J., "Finite Element Analysis of Prying Action in Bolted Joints," SAE Technical Paper 770545, 1977, https://doi.org/10.4271/770545.
- Nair R. S. Birkemore P. C. Munse W. H. “High Strength Bolts Subject to Tension and Prying,” Paper ST2 presented at ASCE Specialty Conference on Steel Structures Columbia, Missouri June 6 11 1970
- Fisher J. W. Struik J. H. A. “Guide to Design Criteria for Bolted and Riveted Joints” New York John Wiley and Sons, Inc. 1974
- Shigley J. E. “Mechanical Engineering Design” New York McGraw-Hill Book Company 1972
- “SUPERB Users Manual” Structural Dynamics Research Corporation 1975
- Nicolas V. T. Citipitioglu E. “SDRC SUPERB, A General Isoparametric Finite Element Program” Second National Symposium on Computerized Structural Analysis and Design Washington, D.C. March 29 31 1976
- “The Finite Element Method in Engineering Science”
- “SUPERTAB Users Manual” Structural Dynamics Research Corporation 1976
- Radzimovsky E. I. “Bolt Design for Repeated Loading”, Article Presented in Machine Design November 1952