This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Inverse Method For The Design Of Airfoils With Supercritical Flow
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1977 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An iterative-direct method is described for designing airfoils with regions of supercritical flow which are nearly shockless. The method uses a wave analysis diagram in the supercritical region to determine design values leading to near shockless characteristics. The pressure distributions are calculated using an available viscous, supercritical method which solves the full, non-linear potential equations for transonic flow. Repeated application of the method enables airfoils to be designed with good off-design behaviour. Results are presented for the design of an 18% thick airfoil and it appears that drag rise Mach numbers about 0.74 are feasible at a lift coefficient of 0.35.
|Technical Paper||Aerodynamic Characteristics Near the Tip of a Finite Wing by a Panel Method|
|Technical Paper||Induced Drag of a Simple Wing From Wake Measurements|
|Technical Paper||Relationship of Wing Drag to Entropy Production|
CitationEggleston, B., "An Inverse Method For The Design Of Airfoils With Supercritical Flow," SAE Technical Paper 770450, 1977, https://doi.org/10.4271/770450.
- Bauer F. Garabedian P. Korn D. “Supercritical Wing Sections” 66 Lecture Notes in Economics and Mathematical Systems Springer-Verlag 1972
- Bauer F. Garabedian P. Korn D. Jameson A. “Supercritical Wing Sections II” 108 Lecture Notes in Economics and Mathematical Systems Springer-Verlag 1975
- Boerstoel J. W. Huizing G. H. Transonic Shock-Free Aerofoil Design by an Analytic Hodograph Method AIAA Paper 74-539 1974
- Tranen T. L. A Rapid Computer Aided Transonic Airfoil Design Method AIAA Paper 74-501 1974
- Hicks R. M. Vanderplaats G. N. Murman E. M. King R. R. Airfoil Section Drag Reduction at Transonic Speeds by Numerical Optimization SAE Paper 760477 April 1976
- Barger R. L. Brooks C. W. Jr. A Streamline Curvature Method for Design of Supercritical and Subcritical Airfoils September 1974
- Carlson L. A. Transonic Airfoil Design Using Cartesian Coordinates April 1976
- Eggleston B. Jones D. J. The Design of Lifting Supercritical Airfoils using a Numerical Optimisation Method Canadian Symposium on Fluid Dynamics University of British Columbia May 1975
- Pearcey H. H. The Aerodynamic Design of Section Shapes for Swept Wings International Council for Aerospace Sciences 1960
- Bavitz P. C. An Analysis Method for Two-Dimensional Transonic Viscous Flow January 1975
- Sinnot C. S. Stuart C. M. An Analysis of the Supersonic Region in a High Subsonic Flow Past an Aerofoil Surface 1960
- Liepmann H. W. Roshko A. Elements of Gasdynamics J. Wiley 1957
- Boerstoel J. W. Review of the Application of Hodograph Theory to Transonic Aerofoil Design and Theoretical and Experimental Analysis of Shock-Free Aerofoils Symposium Transonicum II Springer-Verlag Sept. 1975