This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Critical Review of the State-of-the-Art in the Tire Force and Moment Measurements
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1977 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper critically reviews the state of the art of measurements of tire force and moment properties in steady state and transient conditions and analyzes certain controversial factors influencing these properties. It shows that testing at unrealistically low speeds affects tire force and moment measurement at least as much as drum curvature. Tire measurements are also significantly influenced by characteristics of the test equipment. Forces and moments acting on the tire change tire elastic properties, however, these properties restore themselves after the tire “rests”.
The paper shows that vehicle responses in transient steer maneuvers are strongly influenced by transient tire properties. It was demonstrated that, by using a transient tire model in simulation of vehicle transient responses, the sideslip response time was increased by 32 percent over its value determined by using a steady state tire model. In the low frequency range prevailing during rapid steering maneuvers, transient tire properties are characterized by a dynamic lateral force offset.
|Technical Paper||Relationship Between Relative Velocity Detection and Driver Response Times in Vehicle Following Situations|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||National Names Phrase List|
|Technical Paper||Investigation of a New Steering Method to Improve Control During Cornering|
CitationBergman, W., "Critical Review of the State-of-the-Art in the Tire Force and Moment Measurements," SAE Technical Paper 770331, 1977, https://doi.org/10.4271/770331.
- Bajer Jacques “1964 Lincoln and Thunderbird Tire/Vehicle System Development.” Internal Ford Motor Company Report
- Hersey M. P. “Tires for High Speed Operation.” SAE Paper No. 57-125 June 2 - 7 1957
- Phelps R. L. Pottinger W. Pelz M. G. Marshall K. D. “The Mathematical Characteristics of Steady State, Low Slip Angle Force and Moment Data.” SAE Paper No. 760031 February 23 - 27 1976
- Evans R. D. “Properties of Tires Affecting Ride, Steering and Handling.” SAE Journal 36 2 1935
- Bull A. W. “Tire Behavior in Steering.” SAE Journal 45 2 1939
- Joy T. J. P. Hartley D. C. “Tire Characteristics as Applicable to Vehicle Stability Problems.” Inst. Mech. Eng. Proc. Automotive Division 1953 54 6
- vanEldik Thieme H. C. A. Pacejka H. B. “The Tire as a Vehicle Component.” “Mechanics of Pneumatic Tires.” N. B. S. Monograph 122 Washington, D. C. 1971
- Pottinger M. G. Marshall K. D. “Effects of Speed and Surface Curvature on Cornering Properties of Tires.” SAE Paper No. 760031 February 23 - 27 1976
- Schuring D. J.
- “Experimental Validation of the Calspan Tire Research Facility.” Calspan Report ZM-5269-K-1 II December 21 1973
- Bergman W. Clemett H. R. “Tire Cornering Properties.” Tire Science and Technology 3 3 August 1975 135 163
- Freudenstein George 1961
- Gauss F. ATZ 10 1955 294 300
- vonSchlippe B. Dietrich R. Lilienthal Gesellschaft Report 140, 1941 NACA TM1365 1954
- Pacejka H. B. “The Wheel Shimmy Penomenon.” Diss. Tech. University of Delft 1966
- Smiley R. F. Horne W. B. “Mechanical Properties of Pneumatic Tires with Special Reference to Modern Aircraft Tires.” NACA TN 41110 1958
- Lippmann S. A. “Structural Mechanism of Tires Leading to Development of Steering Forces.” SAE Paper No. 794C January 1964
- Ginn J. L. Miller R. F. Marlowe R. L. Hemovis J. F. “The B. F. Goodrich Tire Dynamic Machine.” SAE Paper No. 490B March 1962
- Ritter T. E. Kristofetz W. S. Cortese A. D. Rassmussen R. E. “Design of Laboratory Equipment for Routine Tire Force and Mount Testing.” SAE Paper No. 720472 May 1972
- Fritz G. Fritz W. Automobile Industrie November 1973
- Beauregard C. McNall R. G. “Tire Cornering/Traction Test Method.” SAE Paper No. 730147 January 8 - 12 1973
- Bergman W. Beauregard C. “Transient Tire Properties.” SAE Paper No. 740068 February 25 March 1 1974
- Weber R. Persch H. G. ATZ 2 February 1975 40 46
- Weber R. “Frequency Response of Tires -Slip Angle and Lateral Force.” SAE Paper No. 760030 February 23 - 27 1976
- Schuring D. J. Gusakow I. “Tire Transient Force and Moment Response to Simultaneous Variations of Slip Angle and Load.” SAE Paper No. 760032 February 23 - 27 1976
- Schuring D. J. “Dynamic Response of Tires.” Tire Science and Technology 4 2 May 1976 115 145
- Lippmann S. A. Oblizajek K. L. “Lateral Forces of Passenger Tires During Dynamic Steering.” SAE Paper No. 760033 February 23 - 27 1976
- Bergman W. “Measurement and Subjective Evaluation of Vehicle Handling.” SAE Paper 730492 May 14 - 18 1973
- Bergman W. “Relationships of Certain Vehicle Handling Parameters to Subjective Ratings of ‘East of Vehicle Control’.” 16th FISITA International Congress Toyko, Japan May 16 - 21 1976