This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
DIGITAP-An On-Line Acquisition and Processing System for Instantaneous Engine Data-Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 1, 1977 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A versatile data acquisition system for engine pressure-time history is described. The on-line system utilizes a 12-bit sample-and-hold A/D converter in conjunction with a mini-computer. The computer controls the acquisition process and performs data processing to generate the desired results. The time base for the system is generated by a shaft mounted disk and photoelectric sensors. On-line selection based on predefined criteria of particular interest is software implemented. Statistical data are available such as the standard deviation and the histogram of maximum pressure. Teletype print, XY plot and punched paper tape are standard outputs.
Among the wide variety of potential applications of this system, some actual examples in such areas as cyclic variation, knock, friction losses and heat transfer are given.
CitationDouaud, A. and Eyzat, P., "DIGITAP-An On-Line Acquisition and Processing System for Instantaneous Engine Data-Applications," SAE Technical Paper 770218, 1977, https://doi.org/10.4271/770218.
- Haskell W.W., Trumpy D.K. and Hendrickson C.H., “Combustion Chamber Gas Temperatures by a Benzene Light-Absorption Technique”, SAE Paper 730082 presented at the SAE Annual Congress, Detroit, January 1973
- Bennethum J.E., Mattavi J.N. and Toepel R.R., “Diesel Combustion Chamber Sampling-Hardware, Procedures, and Data Interpretation”, SAE Paper 750849 presented at SAE Off-Highway Vehicle Meeting Milwaukee, September 1975
- Brown W.L., “Methods for Evaluating Requirements and Errors in Cylinder Pressure Measurement”, SAE Paper 670008 presented at the SAE Annual Congress, Detroit, January 1967
- Polzin H. und Putter R.G., “A Data Processing System for the Testing of Internal Combustion Engines”, MTZ 37 (1976)
- Fisher R.V., Macey J.P., “Digital Data Acquisition with Emphasis on Measuring Pressure Synchronously with Crank Angle”, SAE Paper 750028 presented at SAE Annual Congress, Detroit, February 1975
- Lancaster D.R., Krieger R.B. and Lienesch J.H., “Measurement and Analysis of Engine Pressure Data”, SAE Paper 750026 presented at the SAE Annual Congress, Detroit, February 1975
- Alyea J., Myers P.S., Uyehara O.A.,“The Development and Evaluation of an Electronic Indicated Horsepower Meter”, SAE Transactions, Vol. 78 (1969), paper 690181
- Brown W.L., “The Caterpillar IMEP Meter and Engine Friction”, SAE Paper 730150 presented at the SAE Annual Congress, Detroit, January 1973
- Obert E.F., “Internal Combustion Engines”, International Textbook Company, Scranton, Pennsylvania, 1968, p. 48
- Chamberlin W.B. and Sheahan T.J., “Automotive Fuel Savings Through Selected Lubricants”, SAE Paper 750377 presented at the SAE Annual Congress, Detroit, February 1975
- Matsuoka S., Yamaguchi T., Umemura Y., “Factors Influencing the Cyclic Variation of Combustion of Spark Ignition Engine”, SAE Paper 710586 presented at the SAE Mid-Year Meeting, Montreal, June 1971
- Livengood J.C. and Wu P.C., “Correlation of Auto-Ignition Phenomena in Internal Combustion Engines and Rapid Compression Machines,” p. 347 5th Symposium on Combustion (International) New York, Reinhold Publ. Corp. 1955
- Eyzat P. et Douaud A., “L'ordinateur et l'optimisation du système moteur-carburant”, XVe Fisita Congress, Paris 1974
- Woschni G., “A Universally Applicable Equation for the Instantaneous Heat Transfer Coefficient in the Internal Combustion Engine”, SAE Paper 670931 presented at SAE Combined National Meetings, Pittsburg, October 1967
- Kochanowski A., “The Influence of TDC Errors on the Determination of the Mean Indicated Pressure of I.C. Engines”, MTZ 37, 1976