This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Strain Aging Properties Of High-Strength Hot-Rolled Steels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1977 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The need of the automotive industry for low cost, high-strength steel has prompted consideration of the strain aging process as a means of achieving this goal. To determine the steel best suited for these strained and aged applications, both the static and dynamic strain aging characteristics for carbon steel and various hot-rolled, high-strength steels representing yield strengths from 40 ksi (276 MPa) to 107 ksi (738 MPa) were determined. The medium-strength (40/50 ksi - 276/345 MPa) renitrogenized steels with high soluble nitrogen levels were found to offer an excellent combination of good ductility, large strain aging response and high strength levels in the finished automotive part at low cost. For difficult forming operations, the dynamic strain aging process utilizing the titanium-strengthened 80 ksi (552 MPa) steel offers a useful technique, providing improved ductility at elevated forming temperatures while retaining high strength levels in the finished part.
|Technical Paper||Anisotropy Effects in the Forming of Aluminum Sheet|
|Technical Paper||Stretch-Bend Forming Limits of 1008 AK Steel|
|Technical Paper||Applications of a Binder Wrap Calculation Model to Layout of Sheet Steel Forming Dies|
CitationPastorek, R. and Sipler, A., "Strain Aging Properties Of High-Strength Hot-Rolled Steels," SAE Technical Paper 770165, 1977, https://doi.org/10.4271/770165.
- Baird J. D. “Strain Aging of Steel - A Critical Review” Iron and Steel 36 1963 186 192 326 334 368 374 400 405
- Hall E. O. “Yield Point Phenomena in Metals and Alloys” Plenum Press New York 1970 68
- Kary J. J. “Weight Reduction of Automobile Bumper Systems” Paper No. 760012 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit February 23-27 1976
- Rashid M. S. “Strain Aging Kinetics of Vanadium or Titanium Strengthened High-Strength Low-Alloy Steels” Metallurgical Transactions A 7A 1976 497 503
- Yaker J. A. Leslie W. C. “Static Strain Aging by Substitutional Solutes” AISI Project No. 65-321, Fifth Progress Report August 1976
- Yaker J. A. Leslie W. C. “Static Strain Aging by Substitutional Solutes” AISI Project No. 65-321, Fourth Progress Report February 1976
- Hundy B. B. “Accelerated Strain Aging of Mild Steel” Journal of the Iron and Steel Institute 178 1954 34 38
- Tardif H. P. Ball C. S. “The Effect of Temper-Rolling on the Strain-Aging of Low-Carbon Steel” Journal of the Iron and Steel Institute 182 1956 9 19
- Yaker J. A. Leslie W. C. “Effects of Dynamic Strain Aging in the Temperature Range 100-600°C on the Subsequent Properties of HSLA Steels” AISI Project No. 65-321, Fourth Progress Report February 1976