This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Case Descriptions of Lap-Shoulder Belted Occupants in Car Crashes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1977 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
From field crash investigations conducted by the authors, a series of well documented crashes will be presented. In each, at least one occupant was wearing a lap-shoulder belt. Detailed injury reports will be presented along with photographs of car damage, occupant contact areas, and where possible, the estimated impact speeds.
- Michael J. Murphy - Highway Safety Research Institute and Dept. of Anatomy, Univ. of Michigan Medical School
- Donald F. Huelke - Highway Safety Research Institute and Dept. of Anatomy, Univ. of Michigan Medical School
- Harold W. Sherman - Highway Safety Research Institute and Dept. of Anatomy, Univ. of Michigan Medical School
CitationMurphy, M., Huelke, D., and Sherman, H., "Case Descriptions of Lap-Shoulder Belted Occupants in Car Crashes," SAE Technical Paper 770151, 1977, https://doi.org/10.4271/770151.
- “Continuing Benefits of Seat Belt Restraints.” Proceedings of Scientific Programme Road Trauma Committee, Royal Australian College of Surgeons Melbourne, Australia July 26 1975
- Henderson J.M. Wood R. “Compulsory Wearing of Seat Belts in New South Wales, Australia: An Evaluation of its Effect on Vehicle Occupant Deaths in the First Year.” Medical Journal of Australia 1973
- Hodson-Walker N.J. “The Value of Safety Belts: A Review.” Canadian Medical Association Journal February 1973
- Kihlberg J.K. “Efficacy of Seat Belts in Injury and Noninjury Crashes in Rural Utah.” CAL Report No. VJ-2721-R3 May 1969
- Snyder R.G. “A Survey of Automotive Occupant Restraint Systems: Where We've Been, Where We Are, and Our Current Problems.” Paper 690243 SAE International Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit, Michigan January 13-17 1969
- Nelson W.D. “Restraint System Effectiveness.” 15th Conference of the American Association for Automotive Medicine Colorado Springs, Colorado October 20-23 1971
- Huelke D.F. Gikas P.W. “Determination of Seat Belt Effectiveness for Survival in Highway Collisions.” 7th Stapp Car Crash Conference November 11-13 1963
- Sherman H.W. “Case Results of Some 1974 Passenger Car Crashes.” 18th Conference of the American Association for Automotive Medicine Toronto September 12-14 1974
- States J.D. “Restraint System Effectiveness in Racing Crashes.” 11th Conference of the American Association for Automotive Medicine Philadelphia October 20-21 1967
- Huelke D.F. Sherman H.W. Murphy M.J. “Severe to Fatal Injuries to Lap-Shoulder Belted Car Occupants.” SAE Paper No. 770149 1977 SAE International Automotive Engineering Congress and Exposition Feb. 28 Mar. 4 1977