This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Case Descriptions of Lap-Shoulder Belted Occupants in Car Crashes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1977 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
From field crash investigations conducted by the authors, a series of well documented crashes will be presented. In each, at least one occupant was wearing a lap-shoulder belt. Detailed injury reports will be presented along with photographs of car damage, occupant contact areas, and where possible, the estimated impact speeds.
- Michael J. Murphy - Highway Safety Research Institute and Dept. of Anatomy, Univ. of Michigan Medical School
- Donald F. Huelke - Highway Safety Research Institute and Dept. of Anatomy, Univ. of Michigan Medical School
- Harold W. Sherman - Highway Safety Research Institute and Dept. of Anatomy, Univ. of Michigan Medical School
CitationMurphy, M., Huelke, D., and Sherman, H., "Case Descriptions of Lap-Shoulder Belted Occupants in Car Crashes," SAE Technical Paper 770151, 1977, https://doi.org/10.4271/770151.
- “Continuing Benefits of Seat Belt Restraints.” Proceedings of Scientific Programme. Road Trauma Committee, Royal Australian College of Surgeons, Melbourne, Australia, July 26, 1975.
- Henderson J.M. and Wood R., “Compulsory Wearing of Seat Belts in New South Wales, Australia: An Evaluation of its Effect on Vehicle Occupant Deaths in the First Year.” Medical Journal of Australia, 1973.
- Hodson-Walker N.J., “The Value of Safety Belts: A Review.” Canadian Medical Association Journal, February 1973.
- Kihlberg J.K., “Efficacy of Seat Belts in Injury and Noninjury Crashes in Rural Utah.” CAL Report No. VJ-2721-R3, May 1969.
- Snyder R.G., “A Survey of Automotive Occupant Restraint Systems: Where We've Been, Where We Are, and Our Current Problems.” Paper 690243, presented at SAE International Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, Michigan, January 13-17, 1969.
- Nelson W.D., “Restraint System Effectiveness.” Presented at the 15th Conference of the American Association for Automotive Medicine, Colorado Springs, Colorado, October 20-23, 1971.
- Huelke D.F. and Gikas P.W., “Determination of Seat Belt Effectiveness for Survival in Highway Collisions.” Presented at the 7th Stapp Car Crash Conference, November 11-13, 1963.
- Sherman H.W., “Case Results of Some 1974 Passenger Car Crashes.” Presented at the 18th Conference of the American Association for Automotive Medicine, Toronto, September 12-14, 1974.
- States J.D., “Restraint System Effectiveness in Racing Crashes.” Presented at the 11th Conference of the American Association for Automotive Medicine, Philadelphia, October 20-21, 1967.
- Huelke D.F., Sherman H.W. and Murphy M.J., “Severe to Fatal Injuries to Lap-Shoulder Belted Car Occupants.” SAE Paper No. 770149, presented at the 1977 SAE International Automotive Engineering Congress and Exposition, Feb. 28 - Mar. 4, 1977.