This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Cornering Compliance Concept for Description of Vehicle Directional Control Properties
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1976 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The automobile directional control system is not easily simplified and the description of its design or engineering properties has necessarily been complex. In this paper, a concept for combining vehicle design parameters into two terms, and rear cornering compliance, is proposed. Analysis and simulation results are presented to illustrate the correspondence between the front and rear cornering compliance parameters and vehicle steady state and transient responses.
The results indicate that the cornering compliance approach is reasonably accurate, easily understood and complementary to existing directional control theory and conventions.
|Technical Paper||The Influence of Vehicle Design Parameters on Characteristic Speed and Understeer|
|Technical Paper||The Handling Properties of Light Trucks|
|Technical Paper||What Constitutes Good Handling?|
CitationBundorf, R. and Leffert, R., "The Cornering Compliance Concept for Description of Vehicle Directional Control Properties," SAE Technical Paper 760713, 1976, https://doi.org/10.4271/760713.
- SAE Vehicle Dynamics Terminology SAE J670d
- Bundorf R. T. “The Influence of Vehicle Design Parameters on Characteristic Speed and Understeer” SAE Paper 670078 1967
- Milliken W. F. et al “Research in Automobile Stability and Control and in Tyre Performance” The Institution of Mechanical Engineers London, England 1956
- Weir D. H. Shortwell C. P. Johnson W. A. “Dynamics of the Automobile Related to Driver Control” SAE Preprint 680194 February 1967
- Olley M. “National Influences on American Passenger Car Design” Proceedings of the Institution of Automobile Engineers 1937-38 32 England
- Stonex K. A. “Car Control Factors and Their Measurement” SAE Journal 48 3 1941
- Hoffman E. R. Joubert P. N. “The Effect of Changes in Some Vehicle Handling Variables on Driver Steering Performance” Human Factors June 1966