This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Comparisons of Exhaust Emissions and Fuel Consumption Characteristics- 1974 and 1975 California Automobiles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1976 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: National West Coast Meeting
Exhaust emission and fuel consumption data for 1974 and 1975 California automobiles were generated using the EPA Federal Test Procedure. Fuel consumption data were also generated from a highway cycle test and in-service vehicle fleet records.
Emission test results indicate the degree of control achieved when compared to previous model year automobiles. Fuel consumption data comparisons were made among published data, data calculated using the indirect approved method, a direct method, and in-service fleet vehicle records.
Conclusions discuss emission reductions achieved and the cost of future reductions. Further research to investigate fuel consumption measurement methods is suggested.
CitationAppleby, M., Bintz, L., and Tappenden, T., "Comparisons of Exhaust Emissions and Fuel Consumption Characteristics- 1974 and 1975 California Automobiles," SAE Technical Paper 760581, 1976, https://doi.org/10.4271/760581.
- Air Pollution Control New Motor Vehicles and Engines Federal Register
- Dickinson, Janet E. MacBeth, William G. Hale, Roy E. Dobrin, Sape “Auto Exhaust Control in California - Assessment of Progress” Southern California Air Pollution Control District October 1975
- Austin, T. C. Hellman, K. H. “Passenger Car Fuel Economy - Trends and Influencing Factors” U. S. Environmental Protection Agency, Society of Automotive Engineers #730798 September 1973
- Fisher, R. A. Yates, F. “Statistical Tables for Biological, Agricultural and Medical Research” Table III Oliver and Boyd Ltd. Edinburgh 1953
- Simpson, B. H. “Improving the Measurement of Chassis Dynamometer Fuel Economy” Society of Automotive Engineers # 750002 February 1975
- Milks, D. Matula, R. A. “Emissions and Fuel Economy Test Methods and Procedures for Light Duty Motor Vehicles - A Critique” Society of Automotive Engineers # 760141 February 1976