This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Tire Rolling Resistance Measurements From Coast-Down Tests
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1976 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Tire rolling resistance information is generally obtained in the laboratory by use of the rotating drum technique. Coast-down tests of road vehicles, when properly carried out, will relate laboratory-measured tire rolling resistance to the rolling resistance that exists under actual operating conditions. Also, these road tests can be used to compare the rolling resistances of several sets of tires. This paper describes the procedures that must be followed and the limitations that exist in the determination of tire rolling resistance from coast-down tests. The results of one such test are used as an example of the method.
|Technical Paper||Tire Rolling Resistance - A Speed Dependent Contribution|
|Technical Paper||The Analytical Basis of Automobile Coastdown Testing|
CitationDayman, B., "Tire Rolling Resistance Measurements From Coast-Down Tests," SAE Technical Paper 760153, 1976, https://doi.org/10.4271/760153.
- Essers “Autom. Tech. Rundsch.” 359 384 1927 “Fluid Dynamics Drag”
- Larrabee E. E. “Measuring Car Drag.” Road and Track Magazine 12 6 24 28
- White R. A. Korst H. H. “The Determination of Vehicle Drag Contributions from Coast-Down Tests.” SAE Paper 720099 1972
- Montoya L. C. Steers L. L. dynamics BHRA January 1973
- White R. A. Korst H. H. “A Generalized Method for Determining Drag Coefficient or Rolling Resistance from Coast-Down Tests.” Proceedings--Advances in Road Vehicle Aerodynamics BHRA January 1973
- Dayman, B. Jr. “Effects of Realistic Tire Rolling Resistance Upon the Determination of Aerodynamic Drag from Road-Vehicle Coast-Down Tests.” Second AIAA Symposium on the Aerodynamics of Sports and Competition Automobiles Los Angeles, California May 1974
- Hoerner S. F. “Fluid Dynamic Drag.” 1958
- White R. G. S. “A Method of Estimating Automobile Drag Coefficients.” SAE Paper 69-0189 1969
- Clark S. K. Dodge R. N. Ganter R. J. Luchini J. R. “Rolling Resistance of Tires.” July 1974
- Curtiss W. W. “Low Power Loss Tires.” SAE Paper No. 69-0108 1969
- Walter J. D. Conant F. S. “Energy Losses in Tires.” Tire Science and Technology 2 3 1974
- Bird K. D. Martin J. F. “The CALSPAN Tire Research Facility: Design, Development and Initial Test Results.” SAE Paper 73-0582 May 1973
- Marte J. E. Kurtz D. W. Weaver R. W. Dayman, B. Jr. “Study of Automotive Aerodynamic Drag.” Final Report by JPL for DOT-TSC April 1975
- Dayman, B. Jr. “Computer Programs for Determining Aerodynamic Drag and Rolling Resistance from Road-Vehicle Coast-Down Histories.” JPL Internal Document 5040-20 1975
- Walter J. D. January April 1975