This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Test Speed and Surface Curvature on Cornering Properties of Tires
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1976 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The effect of test speed and surface curvature on tire force and moment properties has been investigated. Lateral force at low slip angles increases linearly 8 to 9 percent for a tenfold increase in test speed. The effect of test speed on tire force and moment properties produces only a modest change in predicted steady state vehicle handling, but a rather significant change in predicted transient vehicle handling.
Surface curvature tends to reduce slip and camber generated lateral force and aligning torque, but the effect is extremely complex and no simple flat to curved surface transformation relationship exists.
|Technical Paper||Critical Review of the State-of-the-Art in the Tire Force and Moment Measurements|
|Technical Paper||The Effect of Tire Break-In on Force and Moment Properties|
CitationPottinger, M., Marshall, K., and Arnold, G., "Effects of Test Speed and Surface Curvature on Cornering Properties of Tires," SAE Technical Paper 760029, 1976, https://doi.org/10.4271/760029.
- Bull A. W. “Tire Behavior in Steering” SAE Journal 45 2 1939
- Knollman K. October 1959
- Freudenstein G.
- Krempel G. Karlsruhe 1965
- Evans R. D. “Properties of Tires Affecting Ride, Steering and Handling” SAE Journal 36 2 1935
- Forster B. “Tests to Determine the Adhesive Power of Passenger-car Tires” SAE Journal 36 2 1935
- Gough V. E. “Friction of Rubber” The Engineer Oct. Nov. 1958
- Smiley R. F. “Correlation Evaluation and Extension of Lenearized Theories for Tire Motion and Wheel Shimmy” MACA Technical Note 3632 1956
- Bird K. D. Martin J. F. “The Calspan Tire Research Facility: Design, Development, and Initial Test Results” SAE 730582 Detroit, Michigan May 14-18 1973
- Bundorf, R. T. “The Influence of Vehicle Design Parameters on Characteristic Speed and Understeer” SAE Transactions 76 1967 paper 670078
- Ellis, J. R. “Vehicle Dynamics” Business Books Ltd, London 1969
- Ginn J. L. Miller R. F. Marlowe R. L. Heimovics J. F. “The B. F. Goodrich Tire Dyanamics Machine” SAE 490B Detroit, Michigan March 12-16 1962
- Ginn J. L. Marlowe R. L. “Road Contact Forces of Truck Tires as Measured in the Laboratory” SAE 670493 May 1967