This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Significance of Used Oil Analysis for Tractor Hydraulic Fluids
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1975 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The significance of used oil analyses as applied to tractor hydraulic oils is discussed with particular emphasis on fluid commingling. Pentane insolubles and changes in TAN or TBN are used to assess in-service oxidation stabilities of tractor transmission-hydraulic oils. Spectrographic wear-metal analyses were difficult to interpret without detailed information on unit design, maintenance and use. A baselining technique can be helpful for evaluating wear in tractor field tests.
Estimates of fluid commingling were developed from used oil additive-metal analyses. Commingling was extensive, averaging 43% in seventeen farm tractors of various manufacture. No field problems have been identified that are caused by commingling. Our experience indicated that a common transmission-hydraulic lubricant for service fill use in all farm equipment is feasible.
|Technical Paper||Microoxidation Evaluation of Automotive Crankcase Oils|
|Technical Paper||Lifters and Lubricants|
|Technical Paper||Hydrodynamic Lubrication Evaluation of Thrust Bearings|
CitationThompson, J. and Vienna, P., "Significance of Used Oil Analysis for Tractor Hydraulic Fluids," SAE Technical Paper 750855, 1975, https://doi.org/10.4271/750855.
- Frassa K. A. Sarkis A. B. “Diesel Engine Condition Through Oil Analysis,” Paper 680759 presented at SAE National Fuels and Lubricants Meeting Tulsa, Oklahoma 1968
- Asseff P. A. “Used Oil Analysis Significance,” API Farm and Construction Equipment Fuels and Lubricants Forum Chicago January 1975
- Snook W. A. “Used Engine Oil Analysis,” Lubrication 54 9 1968
- Schilling A. “Automobile Engine Lubrication,” Broseley, Shropshire, England Scientific Publications Ltd. 1972
- Stavinoha L. L. Wright B. R. “Spectrometric Analysis of Used Oils,” Paper 690776 presented at SAE National Fuels and Lubricants Meeting Houston November 1969
- Wright R. H. “Oil Condemning Limits as Established by Used Oil Analysis,” Paper 680758 presented at SAE National Fuels and Lubricants Meeting Tulsa, Oklahoma 1968
- Sarkis A. B. O'Hara J. P. Kennedy W. A. “Equipment Protection Through Customized Oil Analysis,” Paper 730745 presented at SAE Off Highway Vehicle Meeting Milwaukee September 1973