This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modes of Engine Structure Vibration as a Source of Noise
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1975 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the results of recent investigations carried out at I.S.V.R. into the mechanism of structurally radiated noise.
The overall modal characteristics of a simplified engine structure have been analysed theoretically using finite element programs developed at I.S.V.R. and a comparison is made with experimental results obtained on an equivalent physical model cast in one piece to minimise damping. These results have given an important new insight into the vibration behaviour of a typical engine block casting.
The mechanism whereby the modes of vibration of a typical engine structure are excited by the forces in each cylinder is analysed in conjunction with experimental results obtained by a novel static deflection technique. Also presented are the results of a study into the optimum way of isolating a light panel from block induced vibration.
The acoustic power radiated by representative modes of engine vibration through the acoustically important frequency range is discussed and some results of directivity tests are also given.
CitationLalor, N. and Petyt, M., "Modes of Engine Structure Vibration as a Source of Noise," SAE Technical Paper 750833, 1975, https://doi.org/10.4271/750833.
- Priede T., Austen A. E. W. and Grover E. C.. ‘Effect of Engine Structure on Noise of Diesel Engines’. Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. AD. Vol 179, Part 2A, 1964-65.
- Solaini A.V.. ‘A Study of the Low Frequency Vibration Characteristics of an In-Line Engine’. M. Sc Dissertation, I.S.V.R. University of Southampton, 1973.
- Petyt M.. ‘I.S.V.R. Report : SPADAS I : Theoretical Manual’. University of Southampton, 1974.
- Petyt M., Abdel-Rahman A. Y.. ‘I.S.V.R. Report : SPADAS I : User's Manual’. University of Southampton, 1974.
- Jenkins S.H., Lalor N. and Grover E. C.. ‘Design Aspects of Low-Noise Diesel Engines’. Paper 730246 presented at S.A.E. International Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1973.
- Priede T., Grover E. C. and Lalor N.. ‘Relation Between Noise and Structural Vibration of Diesel Engines’. Paper 690450 presented at S.A.E. Mid-Year Meeting, Chicago, May 1969.
- Griffiths P.G.. ‘The Structural Behaviour of a Stationary V-8 Diesel Engine to Gas Force Impulses’. M.E. Undergraduate Report, University of Southampton, 1974.
- Razzak A.A.. ‘Noise Radiated by Damped Panels’. M.Sc. Dissertation, I.S.V.R. University of Southampton, 1972.
- Grover E.C., Lalor N.. ‘A Review of Low Noise Diesel Engine Design at I.S.V.R.’ J.S.V. Vol.28, No. 3, pp 403-431, 1973.
- Ruddy B.L.. ‘The Reduction of Noise Radiated by Diesel Engine Covers using Rubber Insertions’. M. E. Undergraduate Report, University of Southampton, 1975.
- Priede T.. ‘Some Studies into Origins of Automotive Diesel Engine Noise and Its Control’. Paper C. 12, FISITA, Munich, 1966.
- Wallace C.E.. ‘Radiation Resistance of a Rectangular Panel’. JASA Vol.51, No. 3, (Part 2), pp946-952, 1972.
- Wallace C.E.. ‘Radiation Resistance of a Baffled Beam’. JASA Vol.51, No. 3, (part 2) pp936-945, 1972.
- Hubner G.. ‘Analysis of Errors in Measuring Machine Noise Under Free-Field Conditions’. JASA Vol. 54, No.4, pp. 967-977, 1973.
- Chan C.M.P., Anderton D.. ‘The Correlation of Machine Structure Surface Vibration and Radiated Noise’. Inter-Noise 72 Proceedings, Washington 1972.
- Balul J.. ‘A Study of the Noise and Vibration Characteristics of a Six Cylinder In-Line Diesel Engine’. M.Sc. Dissertation, I.S.V.R. University of Southampton, 1974.
- Beranek L.L.. ‘Noise and Vibration Control’. McGraw Hill, 1971.