This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Sulfate Emissions from Catalyst Cars -A Review
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1975 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A review of the available data on sulfate emissions methods and emissions rates from both catalyst-equipped and noncatalyst cars has been made. Air-dilution methods of various sorts appear to give similar sulfates emissions results, comparable with those obtained by controlled condensation procedures. Mobile source SO2 measurements technology requires much more attention. At present, only the hydrogen peroxide oxidation to sulfate has been demonstrated to give reliable results. Summaries of several hundred catalyst and non-catalyst emission rates are treated to estimate California and 49-state emissions. A cruise-mode emission rate of about 0.03 g/mile appears appropriate for both monolithic and pelleted catalysts in 49-state cars.
CitationBradow, R. and Moran, J., "Sulfate Emissions from Catalyst Cars -A Review," SAE Technical Paper 750090, 1975, https://doi.org/10.4271/750090.
- Pierson William R., Hammerle Robert H., and Kummer Joseph T., “Sulfuric Acid Aerosol Emissions From Catalyst-Equipped Engines.” SAE Publication Number 740287, Detroit, Michigan, Feb. 1974.
- Gentel James E., Manary Otto J., and Valenta Joseph C., “Characterization of Particulates and Other Non-Regulated Emissions.” Air Pollution Technical Data Report No. APTD1567, NTIS, Springfield, Va., March 1973.
- Beltzer Morton, Campion Raymond J., and Petersen William L., “Measurement of Vehicle Particulate Emissions.” SAE Publication Number 740286. Detroit, Michigan, Feb., 1974.
- Bradow Ronald L., “Sulfate Emissions from Catalyst and Non-Catalyst Cars.” NIEHS symposium “Health Consequences of Environmental Controls,” Durham, N.C., April 1974.
- Bradow Ronald L., Carpenter D. A., et al. “Sulfate Emissions from Catalyst and Non-catalyst equipped Automobiles.” SAE Publication No. 740528, October 1974.
- Begeman C. R., Jackson M. W., Nebel G. J., “Sulfate Emission from Catalyst-equipped Automobiles.” SAE Publication No. 741060, Toronto, Ontario, October 1974.
- Teague Maxwell and Arnold D. R., Chrysler response to a Federal Register Request for Information on Sulfate Emissions, May 8, 1974.
- Foster J. F., Trayser D. A., et. al., “Chemical and Physical Characterization of Automotive Exhaust Particulate Matter in the Atmosphere.” 5th Annual Summary Report to CRC-APRAC Project ACPE-19,
- Federal Register, Vol. 37, No. 221, Section 24250 ff., November 22, 1972.
- Federal Register, Vol. 38, No. 151, Section 21348 ff, August 7, 1973.
- Federal Register, Vol. 39, No. 101, Section 85.074-13 ff, May 1974.
- Tejada S., “Determination of Soluble-Sulfate from CVS-diluted Exhaust: An Automated Method.” NIEHS Symposium “Health Consequences of Environmental Controls,” Durham, N.C., April 1974.
- Goksoyr H. and Ross K., J. Inst. Fuel, 35, 1977 (1962).
- Jensen D., Ford Motor Company, Response in Answer to a Federal Register Request for Information on Sulfate Emissions, May 6, 1974.
- Toyo Kogyo, Response in answer to a Federal Register request for information on sulfate emissions, May 8, 1974.
- Bradow Ronald L. and Peter Gabele, “Automotive Sulfate Emissions.” Paper presented before the American Institute of Chemical Engineers, Washington, D.C. Dec. 1-5, 1974.
- Ethyl Corporation, Response in answer to Federal Register request for information on sulfates Emissions, May 8, 1974.
- Driscoll J., Becker J., et. al, “Validation of Improved Chemical Methods for Sulfur Oxides Measurements from Stationary Sources.” EPA Report No. EPA-R2-72-105, NTIS, November, 1972.
- General Motors, Response in Answer to a Federal Register Request for Information on Sulfate Emissions, May 8, 1974.
- a) Liu B. Y. H., and Ilori T. A., “Aerosol Deposition in Turbulent Pipe Flow.” Environ. Sci. & Tech., Volume 8, p. 351 (1974). b) Liu B. Y. H., and Agarwal J.K., “Experimental Observation of Aerosol Deposition in Turbulent Flow.” Aerosol Science, Volume 5, p. 145(1974).
- Habibi K., “Automotive Particulate Emissions and Their Control.” SAE Paper No. 710638, Midland, Michigan, October, 9170.
- Exxon Research and Engineering, EPA Contract Numbers 68-02-1279 and 68-02-0497.
- Southwest Research Institute, EPA Contract Number 68-02-1275.