This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Chest Impact Response Data and Scaled Performance Recommendations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1974 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The chest impact data of Kroell, et al., and Stalnaker, et al., were examined to determine the relationships that might exist between the physical characteristics of cadavers, impact conditions, and responses. It was found that while the Kroell male, Kroell female, and Stalnaker data had similar physical characteristics, their responses were not related to their physical characteristics and impact conditions in the same manner. Regression equations were found that fit the Kroell male data extremely well. Based on a regression analysis of the Kroell male data, scaling rules were developed that allowed performance requirements for chest response to be defined for 5th, 50th, and 95th percentile dummies. Previous response requirements were for 50th percentile dummies only and were based on averaged responses from subjects whose average characteristics differed widely from 50th percentile characteristics.
Currently recommended response corridors based on an extended data base are presented in the Addendum. The extended data base includes new data being concurrently published. These additional data produce a few minor changes in the response corridors, while improving their statistical significance.
CitationNeathery, R., "Analysis of Chest Impact Response Data and Scaled Performance Recommendations," SAE Technical Paper 741188, 1974, https://doi.org/10.4271/741188.
- Patrick L. M. Kroell C. K. Mertz, H. J. Jr. “Forces on the Human Body in Simulated Crashes.” Proceedings of the Ninth Stapp Car Crash Conference Minneapolis Nolte Center for Continuing Education, University of Minnesota 1965
- Patrick L. M. Mertz, H. J. Jr. Kroell C. K. “Human Tolerance to Knee, Chest, and Head Impact Loads based on Impact Tests with Cadavers SAE Transactions 76 1967 Paper 670913 20
- Nahum A. M. Gadd C. W. Schneider D. C. Kroell C. K. “Deflection of the Human Thorax Under Sternal Impact.” Paper 700400 SAE International Automobile Safety Conference Detroit May 1970
- Kroell C. K. Schneider D. C. Nahum A. M. “Impact Tolerance and Response of the Human Thorax.” Paper 710851 , Proceedings of Fifteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference 39 New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1971
- Stalnaker R. L. McElhaney J. H. Roberts V. L. Trollope M. L. “Human Torso Response to Blunt Trauma.” Human Impact Response New York Plenum Press 1973
- Lobdell T. E. Kroell C. K. Schneider D. C. Hering W. E. “Impact Response of the Human Thorax.” Human Impact Response New York Plenum Press 1973
- Foster K. “Analysis of a Slanted-Rib Model of the Human Thorax.” Human Impact Response New York Plenum Press 1973
- Neathery R. F. Lobdell T. E. “Mechanical Simulation of Human Thorax Under Impact.” Paper 730982 , Proceedings of Seventeenth Stapp Car Crash Conference 51 New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1973
- Haslegrove C. M. Croker M. D. “Performance Measurement on the OPAT Dummy.” Motor Industry Research Assoc. Warwickshire, England 1974
- Tennant J. A. Jensen R. H. Potter R. A. “GM-ATD 502 Anthropomorphic Dummy Development and Evaluation.” Paper 740590 SAE Third International Conference on Occupant Protection Troy, Michigan July 1974
- Anthropomorphic Test Dummy Federal Register 38 62 April 2 1973
- Murphy G. “Similitude in Engineering,” New York Ronald Press Co. 1950
- “SMLRP*** (Stepwise Multiple Linear Regression Program).” Series 400 Time-Sharing Applications, Library Operating Instructions Addendum No. 2 Honeywell Information Systems Wellesley Hills, Mass. December 1971
- Stoudt H. W. Damon A. McFarland R. Roberts J. “Weight, Height, and Selected Body Dimensions of Adults.” U. S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare Washington, D.C. 1965
- Kroell C. K. Schneider D. C. Nahum A. M. “Impact Tolerance and Response of Human Thorax-II.” Paper 741187 , Proceedings of Eighteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference 56 Warrendale, Pa. Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1974