This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Airflow Beneath an Automobile
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1974 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A study of the airflow beneath an automobile relied on road tests of two test vehicles to reduce simulation errors caused by the moving road boundary. Testing verified the possibility of a very low Reynolds number boundary layer existing on the road beneath the vehicle. Flow separation associated with this boundary layer could have significant influence on the lift and pitching moments of the vehicle.
CitationBuckley, B. and Laitone, E., "Airflow Beneath an Automobile," SAE Technical Paper 741028, 1974, https://doi.org/10.4271/741028.
- Bettes W. H., “Aerodynamic Testing of High Performance Land Born Vehicles-A Critical Review.” AIAA Symposium, Los Angeles, April 1968.
- White J. F., “New Techniques for Full Scale Testing.” SAE SP-180, SAE National Automobile Week, Detroit, March 1960.
- Gross D. S. and Sekscienski W. S., “Some Problems Concerning Wind Tunnel Testing of Automotive Vehicles.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 75 (1966), paper 660385.
- Beauvais F. N., Tignor S. C., and Turner T. R., “Problems of Ground Simulation in Automotive Aerodynamics.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 77 (1968), paper 680121.
- Mason, W. T. Jr., Beebe P. S., and Schenkel F. K., “An Aerodynamic Test Facility for Scale-Model Automobiles.” Paper 730238 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1973.
- Cornish, J. J. III, “Some Considerations of Automobile Lift and Drag.” Paper 650135 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1965.
- Hoerner S., “Fluid Dynamic Drag.” Midland Park, N.J.: Published by author, 1965.
- Schlichting H., “Boundary Layer Theory.” NACA Technical Memorandum, Report No., 1217, 1942.
- Reneau L. R., Johnston J. P., and Kline S. J., “Performance and Design of Straight, Two-Dimensional Diffusers.” Jrl. of Basic Engineering, ASME, Vol. 89, 1967.
- Biebel W. J., “Low Pressure Boundary-Layer Control in Diffusers and Bends.” NACA, Advanced Restricted Report L5C24, 1943.
- Milne-Thompson L. M., “Theoretical Hydrodynamics.” New York: Macmillan, 1969.
- Mason, W. T. Jr., and Sovran G., “Ground-Plane Effects on the Aerodynamic Characteristics of Automobile Models-An Examination of Wind Tunnel Test Technique.” General Motors Research Laboratories, GMR-1378, April 1973.