This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Overview of Advanced Road Simulation Techniques
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1974 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Many techniques are currently being used for different types of road simulation studies. These approaches vary from using a road simulator as an analysis tool for fatigue to durability simulation to predict the life of a complete vehicle in the laboratory. Different inputs to vehicles have been used, from the apparent straightforward approach of vertical inputs through the tire to complete simulation of combined loads through multiple inputs into the vehicle.
An overview of these techniques developed over the past decade is presented. The analysis relates to the techniques and application of test equipment and methods of testing rather than the prediction or classification of actual results.
CitationZell, K., "Overview of Advanced Road Simulation Techniques," SAE Technical Paper 740946, 1974, https://doi.org/10.4271/740946.
- Betz E. R. “Studying Structure Dynamics with the Cadillac Road Simulator.” SAE Transactions 75 1967 paper 660101
- Barrowcliff B. K. Ehlert R. E. “Full Scale Road Simulated Endurance Test.” Paper 680148 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1968
- Cripe R. A. “Making a Road Simulator Simulate.” Paper 720095 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1972
- Camp J. D. “Random Load Fatigue Test on Automotive Components and Structures.” Advanced Testing Techniques ASTM 1970 46 58
- Dodds C. J. “The Laboratory Simulation of Vehicle Service Stress.” ASME Journal of Engineering for Industry May 1974 391 398
- Conorer J. C. Jaeckel H. R. Kippola W. J. “Simulation of Field Loading in Fatigue Testing.” SAE Transactions 75 1967 Paper 660102
- Inoh T. Aisaka M. “Tuning Techniques for Controlling Heavy Duty Truck Shake-Vertical, Torsional, and Lateral.” Paper 730650 SAE International Truck and Equipment Exhibition Chicago June 1973
- Weymueller C. R. “Simulating Years of Truck Service in Weeks.” Metals Progress August 1970
- Jaeckel H. R. “Simulation, Duplication, and Synthesis of Fatigue Load Histories.” SAE Transactions 79 1970 paper 700032