This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Manual and Automatic Flight Control During Severe Turbulence Penetration
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1974 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper, updated pilot/display/aircraft analysis techniques are applied to the problem of turbulence upset. In the course of an investigation of standard operating procedures and current autopilot turbulence modes, it was found that an improved turbulence penetration system is needed. A simulation was conducted to evaluate the turbulence autopilot and flight director concepts. It was found that an energy management system comprising the integrated autopilot and thrust director provided the greatest decrease in pilot work load and improvement in performance.
|Technical Paper||Actual Accuracy in Flight Data Collection and Analysis|
|Journal Article||Cost Benefits of Aerodynamic Data Generation Techniques for Aircraft Stability and Control Analysis using the J2 Universal Tool-Kit|
CitationJohnston, D. and Klein, R., "Manual and Automatic Flight Control During Severe Turbulence Penetration," SAE Technical Paper 740890, 1974, https://doi.org/10.4271/740890.
- Sturgeon J. R. “Turbulence Experience Recorded by CAADRP.” International Conference on Atmospheric Turbulence of the Royal Aeronautical Society London May 1971
- Flight Safety Foundation, Inc. October 1971
- “Aircraft Accident Report.” National Transportation Safety Board November 5 1970
- Johnston D. E. “Fundamental Control Problems of Turbulence Penetration.” Systems Technology, Inc. December 1971
- “Factual Report of Investigation.” Civil Aeronautics Board, Bureau of Safety O'Neill, Nebraska July 12 1963
- “Factual Report of Investigation.” National Transportation Safety Board, Bureau of Aviation Safety Detroit November 6 1968
- “Pilots Handbook for Critical and Exploratory Flight Testing.” SETP and AIAA Publication 1972
- Soderlind P. A. FAA Symposium on Turbulence Washington, D. C. March 1971
- “Flight Recorder Data Graph.” National Transportation Safety Board
- Weir D. H. Klein R. H. McRuer D. T. “Principles for the Design of Advanced Flight Director Systems Based on the Theory of Manual Control Displays.” March 1971