This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Exhaust Emissions from 2-Stroke Outboard Motors and Their Impact
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1974 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To characterize exhaust emissions from water-cooled 2-stroke outboard motors (the predominant type), four new motors were tested on dynamometer stands. The engines ranged from 4-65 hp in size, and operating conditions were chosen along lines of simulated boat loading. All the measurements were taken at steady-state conditions.
Emission concentrations were measured in raw exhaust gas and after the gases had been bubbled through water in a specially constructed tank. Constituents measured included hydrocarbons, CO, CO2, NO, NOx, O2, light hydrocarbons, and aldehydes. Emissions of sulfur oxides (SOx) were estimated on the basis of fuel consumed, and all the exhaust emissions data were used with available information on population and usage of motors to estimate exhaust emission factors and national exhaust emissions impact.
This study did not address the fate of pollutants in either air or water as a function of residence time, nor did it include any assessment of environmental effects due to outboard emissions.
CitationHare, C., Springer, K., and Huls, T., "Exhaust Emissions from 2-Stroke Outboard Motors and Their Impact," SAE Technical Paper 740737, 1974, https://doi.org/10.4271/740737.
- Hare C.T. Springer K. J. “Exhaust Emissions from Uncontrolled Vehicles and Related Equipment Using Internal Combustion Engines, Final Report Part 2: Outboard Motors.” Environmental Protection Agency, Contract No. EHS 70-108 January 1973
- SAE Recommended Practice, Instrumentation and Techniques for Exhaust Gas Emissions Measurement - SAE J254, SAE Handbook
- Altshuller A. P. et al. “Determination of Formaldehyde in Gas Mixtures by the Chromotropic Acid Method.” Anal. Chem. 33 621 1961
- Sawicki E. et al. “The 3-Methyl-3-benzathiazalone Hydrazone Test.” Anal. Chem. 33 93 1961
- “Boat Load Determination and Boat Use Data.”
- Federal Register 38 124 June 28 1973
- “Outboard Motor Field Usage Survey.”
- “Boating 1971-A Statistical Report on America's Top Family Sport.” Boating Industry Associations 401 North Michigan Ave., Chicago, Illinois 60611
- The Boating Industry “The Boating Business 1971.”
- “Recreational Boating Registration Statistics from USCG Report CG-357.” May 1970
- Walter R. A. et al. “USCG Pollution Abatement Program: A Preliminary Study of Vessel and Boat Exhaust Emissions.” Report No. DOT-TSC-USCG-72-3 November 1971
- Oral presentation by Don Reed of the Boating Industry Associations given to South Texas Section of the Society of Automotive Engineers February 23 1972
- Personal communication from Don Reed of the Boating Industry Associations to William Rogers Oliver of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency August 8 1972
- “Petroleum Products Survey No. 73.” U.S. Department of the Interior, Bureau of Mines January 1972
- 1970 EPA Air Pollution Inventory Estimates (Revised), 1973 Annual Report to the Council on Environmental Quality