This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis and Computer Simulation of the Four Elliptical Leaf Spring Tandem Suspension
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1974 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Many commercial vehicle manufacturers are now using computer simulation as an aid in assuring compliance with FMVSS 121. One particularly important aspect of such a simulation is the analysis of the interaxle load transfer during braking due to tandem axle dynamics.
In this paper, two analyses of the four spring tandem suspension with short load leveler are presented. One, a simplified model, serves to illustrate the mechanism of interaxle load transfer and to identify the design parameters which affect this phenomenon. Improved accuracy is obtained by the second model through the inclusion of frictional forces that develop at the points where the leaf springs contact the frame. Comparison of effectiveness test data indicates good agreement between empirical and simulated results when this advanced suspension model is used in conjunction with existing commercial vehicle simulations.
CitationWinkler, C., "Analysis and Computer Simulation of the Four Elliptical Leaf Spring Tandem Suspension," SAE Technical Paper 740136, 1974, https://doi.org/10.4271/740136.
- Murphy R. W., Bernard J. E., and Winkler C. B., “A Computer Based Mathematical Method for Predicting the Braking Performance of Trucks and Tractor-Trailers.” HSRI Phase I Report to Motor Vehicle Mfrs. Assn., September 15, 1972.
- Bernard J. E., “A Digital Computer Method for Prediction of Braking Performance of Trucks and Tractor-Trailers.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 82 (1973), paper 730181.
- Bernard J. E., “Articulated Vehicle Simulation-A Fresh Approach to Some Recurring Problems.” The 1974 Winter Simulation Conference, Washington, D.C., January 1974.
- Winkler C. B., “Measurement of Inertial Properties and Suspension Parameters of Heavy Highway Vehicles.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 82 (1973), paper 730182.
- Bernard J. E., Winkler C. B., and Fancher P. S., “A Computer Based Mathematical Method for Predicting the Directional Response of Trucks and Tractor-Trailers.” HSRI Phase II Report to Motor Vehicle Mfrs. Assn., June 1, 1973.
- Winkler C. B., “Four-Spring Tandem Suspension Model, Phase III: Motor Truck Braking and Handling Performance Study.” A Report to the Ad Hoc Technical Advisory Panel-Motor Truck Braking and Handling, Motor Vehicle Mfrs. Assn., March 7, 1973.
- Fancher P. S., Winkler C. B., and Bernard J. E., “Computer Simulation of the Braking and Handling Performance of Trucks and Tractor-Trailers.” HIT Lab Reports, Vol. 3, No. 5 (January 1973).