This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Distributions of Stress Between the Tread and the Road for Freely Rolling Tires
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1974 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper outlines the nature of the measuring equipment used in the investigation of tire-road interactions and presents the results of a study of the interfacial stress distributions of a radial-ply, a bias-belted, and a 4-ply bias-angle tire. There is a discussion of tractive ratios and effective coefficients of friction. Distributions of tractive ratios are displayed for all of the conditions treated and for the three types of tires.
The paper also covers the changes in stress distributions that result from steering and the relation of these alterations to the lateral thrust and self-aligning torque of the tires.
CitationLippmann, S. and Oblizajek, K., "The Distributions of Stress Between the Tread and the Road for Freely Rolling Tires," SAE Technical Paper 740072, 1974, https://doi.org/10.4271/740072.
- Oblizajek K. L. Lippmann S. A. “Predicting the Tread Wear of Non-Driven Front Axle Tires from Laboratory Measurements.” Paper 740073 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1974
- Seitz N. Hussmann A. W. “Forces and Displacement in Contact Area of Free Rolling Tires.” SAE Transactions 80 1971 paper 710626
- Savkoor A. R. “Friction of Rubber.” Wear 8 1965 222
- Kummer H. W. Meger W. E. “Rubber and Tire Friction.” Eng. Res. Bulletin B-80 Pennsylvania State University December 1960
- Lippmann S. A. “Structural Mechanisms of Tires Leading to the Development of Steering Forces.” SAE Transactions 73 1964 paper 794C
- Livingstone D. I. “Physics of the Slipping Wheel IV.” ACS Rubber Division Meeting Cleveland October 1971
- Bergman W. Clemett H. R. Sheth N. S. “Tire Traction Measurement on the Road and in the Laboratory.” SAE Transactions 80 1971 paper 710090
- Segel L. Ludema K. C. Dugoff H. J. “New Areas for Tire Performance Methods.” Highway Safety Research Institute, University of Michigan
- Livingstone D. I. Brown J. “Physics of the Slipping Wheel II.” ACS Rubber Division Meeting Buffalo October 1969
- Sakai H. “Theoretical Study of the Effect of Tractive and Braking Forces on Cornering Characteristics of Tires.” Japan Automobile Research Institute November 1969
- Dugoff H. Fancher P. S. Segal L. “Tire Performance Characteristics Affecting Vehicle Response to Steering and Braking Control Inputs.” Highway Safety Research Institute, University of Michigan CST-460 August 1969
- Clark S. K.
- Ginn J. L. Marlowe R. L. “Road Contact Forces of Truck Tires as Measured in the Laboratory.” SAE Transactions 76 1967 paper 670493
- Frank F. Hofferberth W. “Mechanics of the Pneumatic Tire.” Rubber Chem. and Tech. 40 1 February 1967
- Cox J. H. “The Fleeting Tire Footprint.” Paper 970D SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1965
- Saito Y. “Study of the Dynamic Steering Properties of Pneumatic Tires.” Ninth International Automobile Technical Congress 1962
- Gough V. E. “Practical Tire Research.” SAE Transactions 64 1955 paper 548
- Fiala E. “Lateral Forces on Rolling Pneumatic Tires.” Zeitshrift, V. D. I. 96 973-979 Oct. 11 1954
- Report TB-902-F-1 Cornell Aeronautical Laboratory Feb. 4 1954