This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Electronic Closed Loop Controls for the Automobile
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1974 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The purpose of this paper is to discuss the application of control system technology to the design of electronic closed loop controls for the automobile. A number of basic theoretical concepts which are pertinent to automotive problems are discussed; these include open and closed loop control, step response, time delay, and the proportional-integral controller. These concepts are illustrated by an analysis of the stoichiometric air-fuel ratio control problem.
CitationCassidy, J., "Electronic Closed Loop Controls for the Automobile," SAE Technical Paper 740014, 1974, https://doi.org/10.4271/740014.
- Fleming W., Howarth D., and Eddy D., “Sensor for On-Vehicle Detection of Engine Exhaust Gas Composition.” Paper 730575 presented at SAE Automobile Engineering Meeting, Detroit, May 1973.
- Eddy D., “Physical Principles of the Zirconia Exhaust Gas Sensor.” Paper 73CHO718-7VT-C-3 presented at the IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, December 1973.
- Rivard J., “Closed-Loop Electronic Fuel Injection Control of the Internal-Combustion Engine.” Paper 730005 presented at SAE International Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1973.
- Zechnall R., Baumann G., and Eisele H., “Closed Loop Exhaust Emissions Control System with Electronic Fuel Injection.” Paper 730566 presented at SAE Automobile Engineering Meeting, Detroit, May 1973.
- Mitchell H. and McGill R., “Automotive Powerplant Transducers-Fact or Fiction.” Paper 730573 presented at SAE Automobile Engineering Meeting, Detroit, May 1973.
- Cassidy J., “On the Use of a Computer Controlled Engine Dynamometer for the Development of Automotive Electronics.” 2nd International Conference on Automation of Engine Testing, London, England, September 1973. Available as General Motors Report GMR-1425.
- Lopez A., Miller S., Smith C., and Murrill P., “A Comparison of Controller Tuning Relationships.” Control Engineering, December 1967, pp. 72-75.
- Dorf R., “Modern Control Systems.” Boston: Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., 1967.
- Iaquinto J. and Brandt H., “Control Engineering in the Automobile.” General Motors Corp., Engineering Publication A-3035, presented at the National Electronics Conference, October 1973.
- Savant C., “Control System Design.” New York: McGraw-Hill Book Co., 1964.
- Shinskey F., “Process Control Systems.” New York: McGraw-Hill Book Co., 1967.
- “Handbook of Operational Amplifier Applications.” Burr Brown Research Corp., 1963.