This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Illustrations of Automotive Finite Element Models - Dynamics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1974 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper illustrates the use of finite element methods for modeling automotive structures for their dynamic characteristics. Several illustrations are given, with the results being compared to test data.
One example, the modeling of a vehicle for its dynamic beaming and torsion characteristics, is discussed in sufficient detail to illustrate the steps and resources required for such an analysis. Data preparation, typical finite element models, outline of the analysis, and the display of the data in a movie form are covered. The emphasis here is on the modeling process and test correlation and not on the theoretical aspects. The vehicle used for the illustration is not dressed to a curb weight condition, but for the purpose of this paper does illustrate the modeling process.
CitationVail, C., "Illustrations of Automotive Finite Element Models - Dynamics," SAE Technical Paper 740005, 1974, https://doi.org/10.4271/740005.
- Davis C. S., “Illustrations of Automotive Finite Element Models-Statics.” Paper 740004, “An Introduction to Structural Analysis for Management,” SP-387. New York: Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., 1974.
- Kirioka K. and Hirata T., “Computing System for Structural Analysis of Car Bodies.” Advances in Computational Methods in Structural Mechanics and Design. UAH Press, 1972, pp. 529-549.
- Adachi E., “Analysis of Bending Vibration of Automotive Chassis Frame.” Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan, Bulletin, No. 1, 1969, pp. 130-137.
- Ali R., Hedges J. L., and Mills B., “Dynamic Analysis of an Automobile Chassis Frame.” Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs., Vol. 185 (1971) No. 44, pp. 688-690.
- Borowski V. J., Steury R. L., and Lubkin J. L., “Finite Element Dynamic Analysis of an Automotive Frame,” Paper 730506 presented at SAE Automobile Engineering Meeting, Detroit, May 1973.
- Hay J. K. and Blew J. M., “Dynamic Testing and Computer Analysis of Automotive Frames.” Paper 720046 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1972.
- George R. J., “Determination of Natural Frequencies and Mode Shapes of Chassis Frames.” Paper 730504 presented at SAE Automobile Engineering Meeting, Detroit, May 1973.
- Skattum K. S., “Modeling Techniques of Thin-Walled Beams With Open Cross Sections.” Report No. GMR-1231, General Motors Research Laboratories, Warren, Michigan, September 1972.
- Schwerzler D. D., “A Technique for Connecting Beam Elements to a Plate Model of a Complicated Box Section.” Paper 740339, Proceedings of Conference on Vehicle Structural Mechanics, P-52. New York: Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., 1974.
- Vail C. F., “A Modal Synthesis Technique for Determining Dynamic Properties of a Structure for Mass and Stiffness Changes.” Paper 740329 Proceedings of International Conference on Vehicle Structural Mechanics, P-52 New York: Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., 1974.