This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Torque versus Angular Displacement Response of Human Head to -Gx Impact Acceleration
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1973 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper discusses the results of a comparison of 41 previously reported test runs and human volunteer runs run by Mertz and Patrick in testing torque versus angular displacement response of the human head to -Gx impact acceleration. Due to different instrumentation and measuring techniques, there were several differences, but large portions of the data were comparable. The paper points out the need for anatomically based three-dimensional coordinate systems to permit quantitative comparisons between human subjects.
CitationEwing, C. and Thomas, D., "Torque versus Angular Displacement Response of Human Head to -Gx Impact Acceleration," SAE Technical Paper 730976, 1973, https://doi.org/10.4271/730976.
- Ewing C. L. Thomas D. J. Beeler G. W. Patrick L. M. Gillis D. B. “Dynamic Response of the Head and Neck of the Living Human to -G x Impact Acceleration.” Paper 680792 Proceedings of Twelfth Stapp Car Crash Conference, P-26 New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1968
- Ewing C. L. Thomas D. J. Patrick L. M. Beeler G. W. Smith M. J. “Living Human Dynamic Response to -G x Impact Acceleration. II. Accelerations Measured on the Head and Neck.” Paper 690817 Proceedings of Thirteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference, P-28 New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., 1969
- Ewing C. L. Thomas D. J. “Human Dynamic Response to -G x Impact Acceleration.” AGARD Conference Proceedings, AGARD-CP-88-71 June 1971
- Ewing C. L. Thomas D. J. “Human Head and Neck Response to Impact Acceleration.” Naval Aerospace Medical Research Laboratory Detachment New Orleans 21 August 1972
- Mertz, H. J. Jr. “The Kinematics and Kinetics and Whiplash.” Wayne State Univertity 1967
- Mertz H. J. Patrick L. M. “Strength and Response of the Human Neck.” Paper 710855 Proceedings of Fifteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference, P-39 New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., 1971
- Walker, L. B. Jr. Harris, E. H. Pontius U. R. “Mass, Volume, Center of Mass, and Mass Moment of Inertia of Head and Head and Neck of the Human Body.” Department of the Navy, Office of Naval Research Washington, D.C. 20360 Contract No. N00014-69-A-0248 and Contract No. N00203-71-M-1619 Naval Aerospace Medical Center March 15 1973 Paper 730985, Proceedings of Seventeenth Stapp Car Crash Conference, P-51 New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1973
- Thomas D. J. “Specialized Anthropometry Requirements for Protective-Equipment Evaluation.” Proceedings of AGARD Conference on Current Status in Aerospace Medicine Sept. 7 8 1972
- Patrick L. M. “The Effect of Added Weight on the Dynamics of the Human Head.” U.S. Army Natick Laboratories, Contract No. DAAG-17-67-C-0202
- Becker E. B. “Measurement of Mass Distribution Parameters of Anatomical Segments.” Paper 720964 Proceedings of Sixteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference, P-45 New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1972
- Becker E. B. “Preliminary Discussion of an Approach to Modeling Living Human Head and Neck Response to -G x Impact Acceleration.” Human Impact Response King W. F. Mertz H. J. New York 1973 321 329
- Gennarelli T. A. Ommaya A. K. Thibault L. E. “Comparison of Translational and Rotational Head Motions in Experimental Cerebral Concussion.” Proceedings of Fifteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference, P-39 797 803 New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1971