This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Nodalization Applied to Helicopters
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1973 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new passive vibration isolation method has been developed which offers less static deflection and lower transmissibility at the operating frequency than conventional passive isolators. The method consists of attaching the object to be isolated to nodal points which are developed when an elastic beam is excited by a vibrating source. Attachment at the nodes dynamically decouples the driving and driven systems in a frequency band making isolation independent of the mass of the driven system. The immediate application is to eliminate helicopter fuselage vibration; however, because of its generality, it can be used wherever conventional isolators are used in isolating a limited range of vibration frequencies.
CitationShipman, D., "Nodalization Applied to Helicopters," SAE Technical Paper 730893, 1973, https://doi.org/10.4271/730893.
- “Engineering Design Handbook, Helicopters, Part I, Preliminary Design.” AMCP 706-201, St. Louis: U.S. Army Aviation Systems Command
- Balke R. W. “Development of the Kinematic Focal Isolation System for Helicopter Rotors.” 38th Shock and Vibration Symposium St. Louis May 1968
- Flannelly W. G. “The Dynamic Anti-Resonant Vibration Isolator.” 22nd Annual AHS National Forum Washington May 1966
- Wallerstein, L. Jr. “A New Approach to Vibration Isolation For Low Frequency Sources.” ASME Design Engineering Conference and Show April 1968
- Von Hardenberg P. W. Saltanis P. B. “Preliminary Development of an Active Transmission Isolation System.” 27th Annual AHS National Forum Washington May 1971
- Calcaterra P. C. Schubert D. W. “Isolation of Helicopter Rotor-Induced Vibrations Using Active Elements.” USAAVLABS Technical Report 69-8 U.S. Army Aviation Materiel Laboratories Ft. Eustis, Va. June 1969
- Kidd D. L. Balke R. W. Wilson W. F. Wernicke R. K. “Recent Advances in Helicopter Vibration Control.” 26th Annual AHS National Forum Washington June 1970
- Kelley B. “Contributions of Bell Helicopter Company to Helicopter Development.” Royal Aeronautical Society London 12th Cierva Memorial Lecture October 1971
- McCormick C. W. “NASTRAN User's Manual.” NASA SP-22 NASA October 1969
- Vecca A. “Vibration Effects on Helicopter Reliability and Maintainability.” USAAMRDL Technical Report 73-11 1973