This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Unleaded Fuel Composition on Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbon Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1973 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Three cars have been operated for approximately 8000 miles on each of four unleaded gasolines. These gasolines encompassed varied levels of C6-C8 aromatics and varied polynuclear aromatic (PNA) content. Exhaust PNA emissions and lube oil PNA content were measured periodically during the course of mileage accumulation.
Results of this study show that increases in both light C6-C8 fuel aromatics and fuel-contained PNAs can result in significantly increased exhaust PNAs. Vehicles meeting increasingly stringent hydrocarbon (HC) and carbon monoxide (CO) emissions standards emit greatly reduced quantities of exhaust PNAs, though the rate of lube oil PNA accumulation appears to be unaffected by emissions control systems. Accumulated lubricating oil mileage was found to correlate with increased PNA emissions with a high level of statistical significance. This may be the result of an observed increase in lube oil PNA content with mileage accumulation. Oil change was found to result in an immediate reduction in PNA emissions.
|Technical Paper||The Effect of Oxygenated Fuel, Altitude and Temperature on CO Emissions|
|Technical Paper||Effect of a Fuel Additive On Emission Control Systems|
CitationNewhall, H., Jentoft, R., and Ballinger, P., "The Effect of Unleaded Fuel Composition on Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbon Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 730834, 1973, https://doi.org/10.4271/730834.
- Colucci J. M. Begeman C. R. “Carcinogenic Air Pollutants in Relation to Automotive Traffic in New York.” Environmental Science and Technology 5 2 February 1971
- Colucci J. M. Begeman C. R. “The Automotive Contribution to Air-Borne Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Detroit.” JAPCA 15 1965 3
- Begeman C. R. “Carcinogenic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Automobile Effluents.” Paper 440C SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1962
- Griffin M. E. Maler A. R. Borland T. E. Decker R. R. “Applying a New Method for Measuring Benzo(a)Pyrene in Vehicle Exhaust to the Study of Fuel Factors.”
- Hoffman C. S. Willis R. L. Patterson G. H. Jacobs E. S. “Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbon Emissions from in Vehicle Exhaust to the Study of Fuel Factors.” ACS Div. Pet. Chem. 16 2
- Gross G. P. “The Effect of Fuel and Vehicle Variables on Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbon and Phenol Emissions.” SAE Transactions 81 1972 paper 720210
- Begeman C. R. Colucci J. M. “Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbon Emissions from Automotive Engines.” SAE Transactions 79 1970 paper 700469
- Jentoft R. E. Gouw T. H. Analytical Chemistry 44 1972 681