This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Factors Affecting the Design of Transmissions for Heavy-Duty Trucks in Europe
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1973 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Fleet Week
This paper traces the evolution of heavy-duty truck transmissions in Europe, comments on the factors that have influenced and will influence the designs, compares some of the types in current use, and gives the author's views on possible lines of further development in the next decade. The ultimate predominance of any particular truck transmission will, of course, be the result of compromise between legislative, economic, and geographic factors. All these influences vary considerably in their effects on European truck manufacture as compared to that in the United States. The discussion of these differences points up areas of interest to manufacturers of transmissions who engage in export of their products.
CitationHarper, J., Radcliffe, T., and Klein, H., "Factors Affecting the Design of Transmissions for Heavy-Duty Trucks in Europe," SAE Technical Paper 730636, 1973, https://doi.org/10.4271/730636.
- Zahnradfabrik Friedrichshafen A.E. Friedrichshafen, West Germany
- Motoren Und Turbinen Union Friedsrichshafen Friedrichshafen, West Germany
- The David Brown Corp. Ltd. Huddersfield, England
- Atkinson Vehicles Ltd. Walton-le-Dale, Preston, England
- Wilson H. G. Major
- Wilson-Pilcher Car Company
- Maschinerfabrik Augsburg-Nurnberg A.G. Munchen, West Germany
- Daimler Benz A.G. Stuttgart-Unterturkheim, West Germany
- British Leyland Motors Corp. Ltd. Leyland, Lancashire, England
- Gardener Engines Ltd. Patricroft, Manchester, England
- Cummins Engine Co. Inc. Columbus, Ind.
- Perkins Engines Ltd. Peterborough, England
- E.N.V. Engineering Co. Ltd. Eaton Ltd. Acton, London, England Eaton Corp. Cleveland, Ohio
- Klockner-Humbolt-Deutz A.G. Ulm, West Germany
- Clark Equipment Co. Transmissions England Turner Manufacturing Co. Ltd. Wolverhampton, England
- Ford Motor Co. Ltd Dagenham, England Ford of America
- Chrysler U.K. Ltd. Coventry, England Chrysler Corp. of America
- Automobiles M. Berliet S.A. Lyon, France
- Fiat S.p.A. Torino, Italy
- Saviem-Renault S.A. Surences, Hault-de-Seine, France
- A.B. Scania Vabis Sodertolje, Sweden
- A.B. Volvo Goteborg, Sweden
- Fichel & Sachs Schweinfurt, West Germany
- Brockhouse Engineering Ltd., Victoria Works West Bromwich, England
- Allison Division, General Motors Corp. of America