This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Mechanical Properties of Radial Tires
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1973 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Vehicle/tire system performance is mainly influenced by mechanical properties. This discussion is devoted to radial tires in general, although the data are mostly derived from tests of steel belted radials. Also covered are dimension, handling, ride, traction, noise, and power loss performance of the same tire.
The authors conclude that no generic class of tire construction or particular design evaluated thus far is unquestionably superior for every performance parameter, although performance differences between generic classes of tires can be defined statistically.
CitationPeterson, K. and Rasmussen, R., "Mechanical Properties of Radial Tires," SAE Technical Paper 730500, 1973, https://doi.org/10.4271/730500.
- Bidwell J. B. “Car-Tire Relationships.” Akron Rubber Group Winter 1965 General Motors Publication GMR-502
- Vukan F. S. “Mathematics of Tire Application.” Akron Rubber Group April 1971
- Ritter T. E. Kristofetz W. S. Cortese A. D. Rasmussen R. E. “Design of Laboratory Equipment for Routine Tire Force and Moment Testing.” Paper 720472 SAE National Automobile Engineering Meeting Detroit May 1972
- Nordeen D. L. “Analysis of Tire Lateral Forces and Interpretation of Experimental Tire Data.” SAE Transactions 76 paper 670173
- Nordeen D. L. “Application of Tire Characterizing Functions to Tire Development.” SAE Transactions 77 1968 paper 680409
- Leffert R. L. “Programming Time-Sharing Digital Computers for Linear Dynamic Simulation.” Paper 690235 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1969
- Leffert R. L. “Instrumentation for Characteristic Speed Measurement.” GM Engineering Publication A-2264 February 1968
- Nordeen D. L. Rasmussen R. E. “Factors Influencing the Measurement of Tire Uniformity.” SAE Transactions 74 1966 paper 650734
- Hofelt C. Corl J. E. “Uniformity Control of Cured Tires.” Paper 690076 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1969
- Rasmussen R. E. Cortese A. D. “Dynamic Spring Rate Performance of Rolling Tires.” SAE Transactions 77 1968 paper 680408
- Lippman S. Nanny J. D. “A Quantitative Analysis of the Enveloping Forces of Passenger Tires.” Paper 670174 SAE Automotive Congress Detroit January 1967
- Chiesa Oberto Tamburini “Transmission of Tire Vibration.” Automobile Engineer December 1964
- Barson Gough Hutchinson James “Tire and Vehicle Vibration.” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers 1964 1965
- Smithson F. D. Goodenow G. L. Kolhoff R. “Tire-Road Friction Measuring System-A Second Generation.” SAE Transactions 77 1968 paper 680137
- Smithson F. D. Herzegh F. H. “Investigation of Tire-Road Traction Properties.” SAE Transactions 80 1971 paper 710091
- Cortese A. D. Rockafellow C. S. “General Motors Proving Ground Tire Cornering Test Vehicle.” SAE Transactions 80 1971 paper 710092
- Hayden R. E. “Roadside Noise from the Interaction of a Rolling Tire with the Road Surface.” Acoustic Society of America April 1971
- Varterasian J. H. “Quieting Noise Mathematically-Its Application to Snow Tires.” Paper 690520 Chicago May 1969
- Curtiss W. W. “Low Power Loss Tires.” Paper 690108 Detroit January 1969