This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation of Severe Shear Conditions in Lubrication
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1973 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The importance of high shear conditions in automotive lubrication is discussed with respect to the influence on lubricant rheological properties. The distribution of shearing effects in lubricated components is also discussed. Two methods of simulating high shear conditions-an elastohydrodynamic lubrication simulator and a capillary viscometer-are presented, along with some data obtained from them on polymer-containing oils.
CitationJakobsen, J., Sanborn, D., and Winer, W., "Simulation of Severe Shear Conditions in Lubrication," SAE Technical Paper 730482, 1973, https://doi.org/10.4271/730482.
- Wright W. A. Crouse, W. W. Jr. “A New Concept in Generalizing Non-Newtonian Fluid Flow Data.” ASLE Transactions 8 1965 184 190
- Johnson R. H. Wright W. A. “The Rheology of Multigraded Motor Oils.” SAE Transactions 77 1968 paper 680072
- Wright W. A. Johnson R. H. “Rheological Properties of Automatic Transmission Fluid.” Paper 680437 SAE Mid-Year Meeting Detroit May 1968
- West J. P. Selby T. W. “The Effect of Engine Operation on the Viscometric Properties of Multigraded Engine Oils.” Paper 650445 SAE Mid-Year Meeting Chicago May 1965
- Novak J. D. Winer W. O. “Some Measurements of High Pressure Lubricant Rheology.” ASME Trans., Jrl. of Lubrication Technology 90 July 1968 580 591
- Novak J. D. Winer W. O. “The Effect of Pressure on the Non-Newtonian Behavior of Polymer Blended Petroleum Oils.” ASME Trans., Jrl. Lubrication Technology 91 1969 459 463
- Vinogradov G. V. Mamarov A. A. “Flow of Greases Under the Action of Complex Shear.” ASME Transactions, Jrl. of Lubrication Technology 90 July 1968 604 607
- Tanner R. I. “Response of Viscoelastic Fluids in Dynamically Loaded Bearings.” ASME Transactions, Jrl. of Lubrication Technology 90 July 1968 555 560
- Casale A. Porter R. S. Johnson J. F. “The Mechano-chemistry of High Polymers.” Rubber Chemistry and Technology 44 April 1971
- Sanborn D. M. Winer W. O. “Fluid Rheological Effects in Sliding Elastohydrodynamic Point Contacts: I-Film Thickness.” ASME Trans., Jrl. of Lubrication Technology 93 1971 262 271 “Fluid Rheological Effects in Sliding Elastohydrodynamic Point Contacts: II-Traction.” ASME Transactions, Jrl. of Lubrication Technology 93 1971 342 348
- Dowson D. Higginson G. R. “Elasto-Hydrodynamic Lubrication.” New York Pergamon Press 1966
- Winer W. O. “A Viscometer for High Pressure Use, and Some Results.” ASME Transactions, Jrl. of Basic Engineering 94 September 1972 586 588