This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1973 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
During the past several years the problem of wake turbulence has received considerable attention. As a result of research programs sponsored by the Federal Government and private industry, the hazard of wake turbulence to light aircraft has been well documented. In this paper it is emphasized that relatively large aircraft can also be susceptible to vortices generated by large jet transports. This conclusion is based upon a review of accident records and the results from a computer simulation of the aircraft-vortex interaction. The computer simulation consists of the equations of motion with six degrees of freedom as well as control input by the pilot. Procedures are recommended for avoiding dangerous vortex encounters.
|Technical Paper||Digital Computer Simulation of Aircraft Hydraulic Systems|
|Technical Paper||Overview of Supersonic Laminar Flow Control Research on the F-16XL Ships 1 and 2|
|Technical Paper||The More Electric Engine Concept|
CitationNelson, R. and McCormick, B., "Aircraft-Vortex Penetration," SAE Technical Paper 730296, 1973, https://doi.org/10.4271/730296.
- Tombach I.H. “Vortex Wake in a Stably Stratified Atmosphere.” Aircraft Wake Turbulence and Its Detection New York Plenum Press Olson et al. 1971
- MacCready P.B. “Assessment of Dominant Mechanisms in Vortex-Make Decay.” Aircraft Wake Turbulence and Its Detection New York Plenum Press Olsen et al. 1971
- McCormick B.W. Tangler J.L. Sherrieb H.E. “On the Structure of Trailing Vortices.” AIAA Jrl. of Aircraft 5 3 May-June 1968
- Etkin B. “Dynamics of Flight.” New York John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 1959
- Jackson C.E. Wherry J.E. “A Comparison of Theoretical and Experimental Loads on the B-47 Resulting from Discrete Vertical Gusts.” IAS Jrl. 26 1 January 1959
- McRuer et al. “Human Pilot Dynamics in Compensatory Systems.” Systems Technology Inc. July 1965
- Anderson R.O. “A New Approach to the Specification and Evaluation of Flying Qualities.” December 1969
- McRuer et al. “Manual Control of Single-Loop Systems.” Jrl. Franklin Inst. 238 1 January 1967
- McCormick B. W. “Aircraft Wakes: A Survey of the Problem.” FAA Symposium on Turbulence Washington, D. C. March 1971
- McCormick B. W. Eisenhuth J. J. Nelson R. C. Garodz L. “Analysis of Experimental Measurements of the Trailing Vortex Systems of Large Jet Transport Aircraft.” NAECON Conference Dayton, Ohio May 1971
- Donaldson C. “A Brief Review of the Aircraft Trailing Vortex Problem.” NAECON Conference Dayton, Ohio May 1971