This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Measurement and Interpretation of Driver Steering Behavior and Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1973 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Models have been developed to describe the dynamic response and performance of drivers, vehicles, and driver-vehicle systems; and recent experiments have provided some quantification and refinement. This paper summarizes the theory and the data, and attempts to provide part of the transition between properties of the human and the assessment of safety performance in driving. The model and data shown emphasize steering or directional control situations. Simulation experiments with random crosswind gust disturbances were used to measure driver-vehicle describing functions for a number of driver subjects and experimental replications. The results are consistent with previous data and show good repeatability within subjects on successive runs. Interpretation of the data in terms of the driver-vehicle model indicates that the driver's outputs can be explained in simplest terms as functions of lateral position and heading. The results demonstrate that driver-vehicle system dynamic response properties can be modeled and measured for a class of important driving tasks. They also provide direct experimental verification of the applicability of driver-vehicle theory for situations where the driver obtains his information from a real-world visual simulation.
CitationWeir, D. and McRuer, D., "Measurement and Interpretation of Driver Steering Behavior and Performance," SAE Technical Paper 730098, 1973, https://doi.org/10.4271/730098.
- Weir D. H. Wojcik C. K. “Simulator Studies of the Driver's Dynamic Response in Steering Control Tasks.” Driving Simulation, Highway Research Record No. 364 1971 1 15
- Stapleford R. L. McRuer D. T. Magdaleno R. A. “Pilot Describing Function Measurements in a Multiloop Task.” IEEE Trans. HFE-8 1967 2 113 124
- Stapleford R. L. Craig S. J. Tennant J. A. “Measurement of Pilot Describing Functions in Single-Controller Multiloop Tasks.” NASA Contractor Report No. 1238 January 1969
- Weir D. H. McRuer D. T. “Pilot Dynamics for Instrument Approach Tasks: Full Panel Multiloop and Flight Director Operations.” NASA Contractor Report No. 2019 May 1972
- Crossman E. R. F. W. Szostak H. Cesa T. L. “Steering Performance of Automobile Drivers in Real and Contact-Analog Simulated Tasks.” Human Factors Society Tenth Annual Meeting October 1966
- Gordon D. A. “Experimental Isolation of Drivers' Visual Input.” Public Roads 33 1966 12 266 273
- McLean J. R. Hoffman E. R. “Analysis of Drivers' Control Movements.” Human Factors 13 1971 5 407 418
- Mourant R. R. Rockwell T. H. Rackoff N. J. “Drivers' Eye Movements and Visual Workload.” Highway Research Record No. 292 1970
- Weir D. H. McRuer D. T. “A Theory for Driver Steering Control of Motor Vehicles.” Highway Research Record No. 247 1968 7 28
- Weir D. H. McRuer D. T. “Dynamics of Driver/Vehicle Steering Control.” Automatica 6 1970 1 87 98
- McRuer D. T. Graham D. Krendel E. S. “Manual Control of Single-loop Systems: Part I and II.” Journal of the Franklin Institute 283 1967 1 1 29 283 1967 2 145 168
- Weir D. H. Shortwell C. P. Johnson W. A. “Dynamics of the Automobile Related to Driver Control.” Paper 680194 SAE Aerospace Vehicle Flight Control System A-18 Committee Meeting February 1967